PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Goat

DanWalters
06-27-2011, 08:18 PM
Captured this image on Mount Evans yesterday. Thanks for looking.

Canon 1D Mark2
300mm f/4L
1/500th sec F/6.3
ISO 160
RAW

Harshad Barve
06-27-2011, 09:03 PM
Nice image Dan , liked the light , compo and details
TFS

Roger Clark
06-27-2011, 09:39 PM
Hi Dan,

Nice light, sharp and well exposed, but I would have liked to see the head angle more toward the viewer, e.g. so the near horn is behind the far horn.

Last week I got back from Europe so I thought I would take advantage of jet lag. I got up a 3:30 am and drove to Mt Evans, getting there before 5am so I could be on the summit before sunrise. The road was closed at Echo Lake from a snow storm the day before. Darn. I will try again, but now I am over my jet lag.

Roger

Grant Atkinson
06-28-2011, 01:40 AM
Hi Dan, despite the slight head turn as noted by Roger, I still like the compostion, nice clean portrait of an interesting animal. On my screen looks as if there may be some whites that could be toned down on the animals chest.
TFS
Grant

RakeshDhareshwar
06-28-2011, 06:06 AM
Brilliant compo here , Dan . Would have wished for a better HA .

DanWalters
06-28-2011, 07:07 AM
Thanks for the comments. I kind of like the HA as is, as if he is looking out over the valley during sunrise.

Rachel Hollander
06-28-2011, 07:16 AM
Dan - I don't mind the HA but agree with Grant that some of the whites on the chest look a little hot. Nice detail.

TFS,
Rachel

DanWalters
06-28-2011, 07:43 AM
Thanks. Here is one I toned down a little.

Sid Garige
06-28-2011, 10:24 AM
Very nice details and interesting pose Dan.

Morkel Erasmus
06-28-2011, 05:10 PM
Nice to see you posting again Dan! :5

I love these guys...I agree on the head angle, IMHO the HA will work better if the view was "wider", ie you showed us what it was looking at (like, was it looking down over a valley?).

In your repost I would try to tone down some of the yellows - despite it being golden hour? :e3

Roger Clark
06-28-2011, 09:35 PM
In your repost I would try to tone down some of the yellows - despite it being golden hour? :e3

You know me--I like the yellows in the golden hour! I love the colors in the repost. Note, the fur on these guys is slightly yellowish, though the low sun is making it appear very yellow.

Roger

Tom Redd
06-28-2011, 10:59 PM
Dan, I know the HA is getting comments but with the lighting, a more favorable HA would have put the side of face in the shadows. I like it as is. Did you see any babies? Last week they were pretty low when I saw them. Nice post, I like the lighting and headshot.

DanWalters
06-29-2011, 06:50 AM
Thanks again. Tom, I did see one real young one. I know there is more, from what I heard from other people.

Roger Clark
06-29-2011, 09:29 PM
I went up Mt Evans today, arriving at the summit for sunrise. After sunrise I encountered a group of 3 moms and 3 babies. Then several other moms with babies came along. I had the best session I've had in several years. The group moved from about a mile down, up to the summit and back. Only two other photographers (short lenses and one kept moving around spooking the kids). The kids played a fair amount but it was tough getting a clean shot of them jumping rock to rock--to many goats in the way. I got one nice one but the head angle is off. But many other nice images of both babies and adults playing on the rocks.
I will post some images when I get them processed (don't hold your breath--work calls).

Roger

Marina Scarr
06-29-2011, 10:23 PM
Your repost works for me, Dan. I like the feel of him looking out over the mountain.

Steve Canuel
07-01-2011, 12:14 AM
Catchlight in the eye makes this angle work for me although I'd like to see what he's looking at/enjoy his same view. Early morning color/light looks right to me in the repost, I also like the parallel lines of the swept back horns.