View Full Version : fiddlehead

stuart wanuck
06-27-2011, 07:49 PM
nikon d 300 iso 400
m 1/80 @ 11
60 mm macro lens

Dave Leroy
06-27-2011, 09:30 PM
I like the nice flowing lines in this one as well as cool feeling green bg. Just like in a forest.

I wonder if it was possible to make a slight move to your right to get a bit of separation between front leaf and back leaf.

Certainly a seasonal shot and well done.

Dave

bhavya joshi
06-28-2011, 12:46 AM
Nice Pattern to see of plants Stuart .. Well BG.. Also. Nice shot..Looking different:S3:.

Roman Kurywczak
06-28-2011, 10:02 AM
Hey Stuart,
Beutiful lines and light. I too feel the BG stem and leaves are distracting and a move R as Dave suggested may have eliminated that BG stem. In the field.....I keep spring clothespins in the bag.....to move such items out of the way (Plamp works too). As presented.....I would carefully eliminate that back one if you are ok with such things. Still a nice job with the focus and if the back one wasn't there.....it would have put it over the top. Just something to keep in mind when out in the field.

Anita Bower
06-28-2011, 04:02 PM
Lovely. Beautiful green and a study in greens. Nice focus on the front fiddlehead. I like the back fiddlehead in the image; it gives a sense of depth. I like the tight crop. Lovely as is.

Steve Maxson
06-29-2011, 10:42 AM
Hi Stuart. The fiddlehead has a very nice flow to it and I'm with Anita - I like the second frond - the way it parallels the first. I would suggest toning down the bright top "leaf" on the second frond as it is drawing my eye (you could use the brush tool to paint over that area with green at about 10% opacity). You might also try some additional selective sharpening on the fiddlehead portion of the first frond. I think these tweaks will take this very nice image up a notch or two. :S3:

Jonathan Ashton
07-02-2011, 04:48 PM
I like the composition and I love the colour, I agree with making the background fern just a little more subtle. I can't tell you how many times I have tried similar images but I have never been happy with them, if I had taken this I would have been more than happy.

Ken Childs
07-06-2011, 07:08 PM
Hi Stuart, I agree the BG stem is a bit distracting but mainly because it intersects with the subject. If you could have bent it out of the way as Roman suggests, this might have turned out better. Another option would be bending it slightly to the right but leaving it in so it doesn't intersect with the subject. I think either way would have taken this one over the top! Having said that, I still like this one a lot! :S3:

Bob Miller
07-10-2011, 11:22 AM
Stuart.....I like the bg frond ...just wished it were not merging with the front frond. Nice image!