PDA

View Full Version : Silver Studded Blues

Jonathan Ashton
06-27-2011, 04:39 PM
These butterflies are nationally not common - only found in localised areas. They have special relationship with ants, the caterpillars grow inside the ant colony - there is a an element of symbiosis but it is a little one sided.
All C & C welcome.

Nancy Bell
06-27-2011, 05:31 PM
Fantastic! Where do I start? Great compostion, great pose, great detail, great colors, great background, great natural history info. But, what about camera details?

Dave Leroy
06-27-2011, 09:34 PM
Another excellent double. A tad higher would have been very nice and not sure if it would have been worth the risk. Interesting bit of detail about their lives as well.

Focus is spot on and lovely clean bg.

Good for you to get the chance.
Dave

Jonathan Ashton
06-28-2011, 02:56 AM
Fantastic! Where do I start? Great compostion, great pose, great detail, great colors, great background, great natural history info. But, what about camera details?
Sorry here we go
Canon 7D Canon 180mm macro tripod & Mongoose head, ISO 200 1/640 sec f8 No fill in flash on this one.

Roman Kurywczak
06-28-2011, 09:58 AM
Hey Jonathan,
Glad you remembered to post the specs and great story too. I'm with Dave on a bit higher as generally they won't move once mating......but sometimes they do! All in all a fantastic shot with the focus where it needs it and a lovely BG.

Steve Maxson
06-29-2011, 10:32 AM
Hi Jonathan. An excellent find and well photographed - and I always like the biological info. I agree that a slightly higher viewpoint would make the image even stronger, but it's still very nice as presented! :S3:

Jonathan Ashton
06-29-2011, 11:19 AM
Thank you for your comments everyone - I appreciate your time.

Daniel Cadieux
06-29-2011, 11:23 AM
As mentioned, a higher angle to clear the leaf's edge from the legs would have been optimal. Otherwise this is a very strong image. Way to go!

Ken Childs
07-06-2011, 07:03 PM
Hi Jon, the butterflies look fantastic! I agree with the suggestion of shooting this one from a slightly higher angle. I think this one could be improved by applying some extra sharpening on the left butterfly's antennae. :w3
Nicely done!