PDA

View Full Version : Moonflower

Brendan Dozier
06-27-2011, 09:59 AM
This is the flower from the previous bud image I posted the other day. Really like the pillow like softness to the petals on these.

Looks kind of like a lily, and Noelle pointed out that it was a type of moonflower. After a google image search I discovered one of the common names for this is Jimson Weed. It's a beautiful flower, but also can be toxic, and Native American Indians have used it for its hallucinogenic properties.

Slight crop off top, CS5 adjustments, cleaned up spots, dodging & burning, desaturation on petals, sharpening in Topaz Detail.

7D, EF100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, tripod
1/200
ISO 400

C & C welcome & appreciated,

- Brendan

Roman Kurywczak
06-27-2011, 12:49 PM
Really nice Brendan! You have VG definition in the whites and you placed the stamen in a good spot too....I do wonder if lightening some of the shadow areas would help overall.....but this is still very nicely done!

noelle zaleski
06-27-2011, 01:12 PM
ahhhh.... wonderful Brendan!

Aren't they amazing flowers to photograph. The flowers are quite large and impressive. The buds are even more fub with their spiraling edges.

I like your image and the detail you have brought out in the whites is very good.

Looks like I will have to dust off my 100mm once mine start to bud :bg3:

Mitch Haimov
06-27-2011, 01:41 PM
Nicely done, Brendan. Good detail and sharpness. Recommend cropping from bottom to get the flower's center to ROT position and the anthers away from center. Also agree with lightening shadows somewhat.

Nancy Bell
06-27-2011, 01:47 PM
Wow, you really captured the texture of those white petals! With those lines on the petals leading right down into that contrasting yellow-green center one can understand why insects are attracted into flowers.

John Platt
06-27-2011, 05:52 PM
Really beautiful, I love the texture brought out by the lighting.

I was trying to find something to suggest and finally I decided to suggest leaving it as it is. It's very nice.

Chad Caswell
06-27-2011, 08:08 PM
I have 6 pot of these growing.. I can't wait till they bloom, the flowers are huge and smell amazing. Great shot!

Dave Leroy
06-27-2011, 09:40 PM
Lovely shot Brendan. You really captured the pillow like softness of the flower. Very nice detail throughout.

Dave

Brendan Dozier
06-28-2011, 01:50 AM
Thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions, much appreciated.

I lightened the shadows some as Roman & Mitch suggested. Experimented with different crops, but decided to keep the original. Didn't want to reduce it any as it helps to communicate the large pillowy expanse of the flower.

Wow, you really captured the texture of those white petals! With those lines on the petals leading right down into that contrasting yellow-green center one can understand why insects are attracted into flowers.

Nancy, it is amazing the designs that nature creates. It does make a nice target for the bees and other insects to hone in on, and those lines look like chutes for them to slide down! :bg3:

christopher galeski
06-28-2011, 03:30 AM
nice one Brendan,like the detail in the whites.thanks.

Roman Kurywczak
06-28-2011, 10:03 AM
Nice job on the repost Brendan!

Anita Bower
06-28-2011, 04:05 PM
Beautiful clarity and sharpness! BEautiful capture of the whites. I agree with Nancy's comment. Very well done!

Steve Maxson
06-29-2011, 10:21 AM
Hi Brendan. Nicely seen and photographed. Great detail in the whites and the stamens and green center makes an excellent focal point. Very well done!

Brendan Dozier
06-30-2011, 12:36 PM
Thanks, Christopher, Roman, Anita, and Steve!

Ken Childs
07-06-2011, 06:59 PM
Hey Brendan, I think this one has been covered pretty. The repost definitely takes this one up a notch or 2. Well done!