PDA

View Full Version : Trouble in Paradise

Saravana Gurusamy
06-27-2011, 07:22 AM
Canon 30D, Canon 100mm f2.8 USM, Av, f5, 1/1600, ISO 320, 0EV, No Flash, Handheld

http://www.gsaravana.com/images/_MG_3851.jpg

Brendan Dozier
06-27-2011, 10:07 AM
Real nice image, Saravana, and interesting behavior you have captured from these critters.
Looks like a battle is taking place. What kind of bugs are these? Very nicely composed, like the shallow dof, nice details on bug & flowers, though the light looks a bit bright. I would be interested in seeing a version without the two OOF bugs on the left and right sides of the perch. They seem to distract a bit from the main subject. Nice work! :S3:

Roman Kurywczak
06-27-2011, 12:44 PM
Hey Saravana,
I am a bit distracted by the brightness and the shallow DOF......for me it just doesn't have enough in focus and sacrificing some SS for more DOF......would have been preferable IMO. I think the action is VG......I just wish it had more DOF.

Mitch Haimov
06-27-2011, 01:47 PM
Great moment. I agree with the above comments, Saravana. Shallow DOF helps focus attention on your subjects, but stopping down enough to keep the two combatants entirely within your DOF would have been helpful--looks like you had plenty of SS to work with. Not always feasible, but an assistant holding a diffuser would have helped soften the light.

Steve Maxson
06-27-2011, 08:49 PM
Hi Saravana. You captured some interesting behavior. These look like jumping spiders and I'm thinking this might be courtship behavior rather than fighting - jumping spider males have very elaborate courtship displays. Like the others, I would wish for more DOF. At f/5 and a ss of 1/1600 you had some wiggle room the increase DOF while still maintaining a ss fast enough for hand holding. Keep them coming. :S3:

Dave Leroy
06-27-2011, 09:45 PM
Nice one. I like the action as well as the pretty flower. Good comments about DOF.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Dave

Saravana Gurusamy
06-28-2011, 02:03 AM
Thank you all. I completely agree about more DoF. The action was so quick and lasted merely a second that I couldn't plan this shot properly. I will definitely take care in future. Thanks for all the learnings.