PDA

View Full Version : Morning at Glenorchy - First Trip Image, New Zealand

Jay Gould
06-26-2011, 07:09 PM
Hi, Why I left the "First" for later I am not sure. :e3

Actually, the electric blue water (I hope that is the way it looks when I upload it after jpeg compression) draws me in every time I look at it on my monitor.

This was a multiple-blend of several versions of a single image.

Looking at the preview, the water is right; the "fall colors" lost some of their pop.

Camera: 5D2
Capture date/time: 23 Apr 11; 5:25 AM
Light condition: sunrise
Lens: 16-35 f/2.8
Focal length:30mm
Distance: 655m
Extender: none
Tube: none
Flash/Comp:
ISO: 100
Exp Prog: Av
Speed: 13
Aperture: f/20
Exp Comp: -1/3
Metering: Evaluative
WB: Auto
AF Drive: One-shot AF
Tripod: yes
Filter: SR GND and RGND
Crop: minimal from bottom
Images Changes: stuff I didn't like removed!

Processed in LR3 and CS5, Topaz Denoise, and Pixel Genius Sharpening.

Jay Gould
06-26-2011, 07:20 PM
I did the time as 5:25 and it is a mess - anybody know why?

5 : 25 AM

Jay Gould
06-26-2011, 11:43 PM
Here is a bit of a cropped version; which do you like better?

Rachel Hollander
06-27-2011, 08:51 AM
Jay - I prefer the cropped version but this image just isn't doing it for me. Maybe it's because I've been to the South Island and know how breathtaking the scenery is but also your other images are just much more interesting. The clouds are dramatic and I find them drawing my attention more than the "electric blue" water. Sorry, just MHO.

TFS,
Rachel

Roman Kurywczak
06-27-2011, 11:35 AM
Hey Jay,
I'll have to check but it does look like you lost a bit of the whites in processing? I prefer the cropped vesion but may go a bit more off the left....levaing ht whole tree as a frame edge. I do wonder if you are over processing?? You could probably pop the fall colors a touch more.....but more than likely......many of the issues can be due to the compression here at BPN.......it is tough to get landscapes under the 200KB limit w/o saving it at very low quality. I'll discuss this with James as it seems we need to do something about it!
Save those highlights in the clouds and that alone will go a long way in taking this up a notch or 2.

Jay Gould
06-27-2011, 04:21 PM
Rachael, nothing to be sorry for - honest critiques gently! I appreciate all Positive critiques about why an image doesn't "do it" and why. Pls do not every sugar coat. On my 21" backlit led monitor the water shimmers. Also close to it in a Fuji Flex print.

When I saw the preview I probably should not have posted.

Roman, the 200 limit is a problem; NatureScapes is 250 and you can see a difference in the jpeg quality level. They also limit the long edge to 800 so when you make it smaller and larger :eek: you get a higher quality appearing image.

When you have a 100mb image and you go through a series of size reductions - I have created actions to reduce image size 10% at a time down to 1024W and the other sizes too for here and NatureScapes - and then you further apply the kb limitation - well.......................

It is a landscapers' problem and not a birders' problem - stir the pot!! :2eyes2:

Such is life!

When I took more off of the left there were only twigs intruding into the image; didn't like it.

if your want, do a RP for me and also address your comment saving the cloud highlights.

Brendan Dozier
06-29-2011, 01:41 AM
Very pleasing landscape image, Jay. Good exposure, like the glassy water, and the clouds add interest. There's also a nice balance between warm and cool colors. I prefer the cropped version. Good job!