PDA

View Full Version : Red Lechwe from the air

Morkel Erasmus
06-26-2011, 05:28 PM
This photo was taken from the open-door helicopter flight which is part of the itinerary on my photographic safaris with Orient Express. Due to the water levels we didn't see many lechwe on the ground or from the boats, but this nice-looking buck posed in the late afternoon light as the helicopter flew by overhead.

Techs:
Canon 7D with 70-200mm f2.8 L IS USM @ 200mm
f4.0 @ 1/2000 SS @ ISO-800
Had to save at low quality setting due to fine details throughout the image

Harshad Barve
06-26-2011, 08:36 PM
very nicely done bhai , shooting from helicopter must be tough job
TFS

Rachel Hollander
06-26-2011, 09:00 PM
Morkel - not the usual perspective we see here, nice to see something different though I can't really decide if it works for me. I think I wish there was more of something, either a greater expanse of habitat or more animals. The reflection is a nice touch though. Looking forward to seeing more from the helicopter as your safari photo business takes off (pun intended).

TFS,
Rachel

Ofer Levy
06-26-2011, 09:12 PM
Hi Morkel, I am afraid this doesn't work for me. I guess the main issue is the shooting angle....:w3

John Blumenkamp
06-26-2011, 09:23 PM
Hi Morkel... interesting perspective for sure. For me, I always seem to be drawn to aerial images like this when there are multiple animals in the frame.

Morkel Erasmus
06-27-2011, 12:00 AM
Thanks for the feedback folks. Agreed, it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it's also a chance not many people will have, so getting the right "type" of shots from these flights will be crucial. I have many with herds of elephant and zebra which work very well...I quite liked the reflection here and am biased since it's my first lechwe capture on camera :bg3:

peter delaney
06-27-2011, 06:10 AM
Hi Morkel

Its really difficult to get good arial shots as you are finding out.. and to photograph them in a way that will capture the viewers imagination...
I assuming its your first time up as state its your first lechwe.. so its a learning curve and I am sure by the time you have guide a few safaris ,you will capture some amazing images..

so I have to agree with Ofer on this.. maybe if you had shot wider and given it more environment.. it might give it more of an arial feel to it...as the reflection alone is too weak to carry the image...

just on the processing the whites are a little blown...

looking forward to your other images from the flight..:S3:

Marc Mol
06-27-2011, 07:11 AM
Its really difficult to get good arial shots as you are finding out.. and to photograph them in a way that will capture the viewers imagination...

I think Peter has summed this up very well Morkel, but all congrats for your first up Lechwe capture, not many would have done so from this angle.
Will be trying something similar again when I return to Tafika camp (Sth Luangwa) in john's microlight come November.

Morkel Erasmus
06-27-2011, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the feedback folks...

Peter - it sure is tricky with the vibrations and movement. I am sure I will get the hang of it as I already picked up many learnings from my first trip and from reviewing how the images came out.

This is far from my personal favourite from the flight - just haven't processed that many yet! :bg3:

Marc - a microlight should offer some cool perspectives too!

Steve Canuel
06-27-2011, 08:12 PM
I like this one. Things I like; the texture of the grass, pose of the lechwe, color of the water, the reflection, and the long shadow from the animal.