PDA

View Full Version : some sort of hover fly?I think

christopher galeski
06-26-2011, 05:46 AM
took this shot,this morning on a wild flower head,I think it is some sort of hover fly,but to be honest,I am not sure,cannon7d,cannon macro 100mm f2.8 is,hand heldf5/6,1/400s,iso400,small crop,some sharpening,comments good or bad,I am here to learn.thanks.

Jerry van Dijk
06-26-2011, 09:32 AM
Hi Christopher, the fly is a Yellow (or Golden) dungfly, see a few posts down. But never mind the fly, what's that weird looking plant?
Excellent control of sharpness and BG. I like the saturated look, but I think the saturated colors of the flower do distract a bit from the fly.

christopher galeski
06-27-2011, 07:25 AM
Hi jerry,and thanks for comments,not sure what the plant is,but I will try and find out,should have made the crop more square,I do manly birds,so left some more canvas on the right,like you would with birds,I have only just started doing a few macro shots,so I am on a learning curve.thanks again.

Brendan Dozier
06-27-2011, 10:21 AM
I'm trying not to use the word "cool" again, but this is very COOL, Christopher! Nice pose and like the surrounding habitat. Love the brilliant vibrant color on this, great IQ and details. I think Jerry does have a point regarding the bright flowers being somewhat distracting to the fly, but still very nice capture.

Roman Kurywczak
06-27-2011, 12:35 PM
Hey Christopher,
Well......I like it as presented but like the others I was wondering about a few crop options......square worked....and not sure you are OK with such things.....but I wanted to clean up the BG and the stem on the bottom. I left the lower one just to show you the difference.....but i would minimize that also. Lastly....I toned down the brightest area on the left behind the fly.....let me know your thoughts and if you are OK with such things......mostly so I know for the future. All in all....this is still very nicely done!

Mitch Haimov
06-27-2011, 01:53 PM
Very nice, Christopher. And the wildflower would make a great subject on its own--many possibilities. Nice sharpness and exposure on your subject. A less interesting BG would have helped focus attention on your subject.

Carel v/d Sanden
06-27-2011, 02:43 PM
I like the second operation.

christopher galeski
06-28-2011, 03:25 AM
thanks everybody for comments,and Roman, your post as improved image.thanks again.

Steve Maxson
06-28-2011, 02:05 PM
Hi Christopher. Late to the party, but you did a very nice job with the fly and it's perching on a very cool plant. I like what Roman did with the background - you might try cleaning it up even more. Having never seen either this fly or the plant - the OP looks a little oversaturated to me and the repost has maybe gone a bit too far the other direction. For my tastes, I think something between the two would be about right. :S3:

christopher galeski
06-29-2011, 06:19 AM
thanks Steve for comments.

Ken Childs
07-06-2011, 06:50 PM
Hi Christopher, other than being slightly over-saturated for my tastes, the OP looked pretty good! Roman's repost definitely helps get more attention to the fly so that is something you should explore. Well done! :S3: