PDA

View Full Version : Blue Flag (Wild Iris) Burst.

Daniel Cadieux
06-25-2011, 09:57 PM
I recently spent a day out with at the Purdon Conservation Area to photograph a huge colony of wild Showy Lady Slippers (there are 10,000+ at this spot, very impressive!!). There was one Blue Flag that was in prime position to photograph from directly above for some neat patterns. I spent a while with it until I was happy...but later it began to rain, so I just had to go back and get some images with rain drops sprinkled on it (next time I must remember to bring a spray bottle!). I would have loved to have more light/less wind to stop down more to get some of the other larger drops near the center within DOF...but still happy with this.

Roman, you will be proud that I booked the day off from work specifically to photograph wild flowers!:t3

Canon 7D + Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 lens @ 54mm, aperture priority, evaluative metering, 1/100s., f/6.3, ISO 800, -1 EC, 580 EX II flash @ -1.7 FEC, handheld, full frame.

Jerry van Dijk
06-26-2011, 09:33 AM
Very creative flower abstract, Daniel. A little more DOF would have been nice, but I like it as presented. The drops are a great plus on this one.

Brendan Dozier
06-27-2011, 10:26 AM
Nicely seen and composed, Daniel! Really like the wonderful rich color and design to this one. Water beads are a great touch, way to go back and not miss the opportunity! :S3:

Roman Kurywczak
06-27-2011, 12:16 PM
Hey Daniel,
A day off to take flowers!!!......what is this world coming to!!!:bg3: Must have been pretty dark as you were at ISO 800 and only f6.3........but that does great things for your BG. I am not the biggest fan of the center comp.....but knowing these flowers well.......it is very difficult to get an off center one and in this case.....I think it works! I'd go in and eliminate the few flash highlights left......but all in all....very well done! I think I'll faint if you tell me you are ready to buy a dedicated macro lens!:2eyes2:

Steve Maxson
06-27-2011, 05:09 PM
Hi Daniel. I'm impressed at the IQ you are getting with this "macro" lens of yours! :S3: Blue flags are cool flowers, but challenging to photograph. Yours is an interesting take on this subject and I like the colors and patterns along with the smooth background. The raindrops really add to the image - I would agree with Roman about cloning some (but probably not all) of the flash-generated highlights in the water drops. Well done.

Anita Bower
06-28-2011, 04:10 PM
I like the symmetrical placement of the flower and the sharp, sparkling raindrops. The out of focus petals are bothering me. I notice that the brownish structures behind the petals are more in focus and wonder if focusing a bit more forward would have brought the petals into more focus and still kept the water drops sharp.

Ken Childs
07-06-2011, 06:46 PM
Hey Daniel, these deep flowers are tough to work with and I think you did a pretty good job overall with this one. Anita hit on the main problem I see with this one....the focus seems to be slightly behind the main point of interest. Maybe a slightly smaller aperture like f/8 would have helped on this one.