PDA

View Full Version : Night Heron

Mitch Carucci
06-24-2011, 10:12 AM
D7000 & Sigma 150-500mm at Ft DeSoto Park.

Chad Caswell
06-24-2011, 10:17 AM
I really like the mood you're sending us on this image, be curious to know your processing steps to get this.

HA could be better :t3 Nice light in the eye and well exposed image.

Chad

Melissa Groo
06-24-2011, 10:42 AM
Really neat shot, Mitch. Curious on your PP here too. Love the colors and textures and like the comp too. Thought the sand was snow at first!

Mitch Carucci
06-24-2011, 10:59 AM
I really like the mood you're sending us on this image, be curious to know your processing steps to get this.

HA could be better :t3 Nice light in the eye and well exposed image.

Chad

Chad,

Thanks for looking. I tend to like to process the subject separately from the background, and that was the case here. I masked the N.Heron with Topaz remask 3, then I did some sharpening, and internal contrast enhancement with Topaz detail 2. Also some lightening. The background sky was darkened, and desaturated a bit. I tried to keep the sand bright, while holding some detail.

Mitch

Mitch Carucci
06-24-2011, 11:02 AM
Really neat shot, Mitch. Curious on your PP here too. Love the colors and textures and like the comp too. Thought the sand was snow at first!

Thanks Melissa,

See the reply to Chad for PP info. The sand was quite light. My first (and very brief) visit to FT DeSoto park in Florida. Hope to go back again soon, though I guess the season is not really good now for birds.

Mitch

Herb Houghton
06-24-2011, 11:09 AM
Nice comp on the YCNH, I do like the vertical crop. It does have a cool cast to the WB, I would try and warm it up a little, if it was mine. :S3: I also agree with Chad, the HA is turned away from the viewer slightly.

Daniel Cadieux
06-24-2011, 11:33 AM
Thought the sand was snow at first!

Me too!!

Nice composition, and I like the textures in the sand. Although I like the "wintery" look to it, I to would like to see a slightly warmer WB. I'd also be tempted to remove the two lower dark twigs in the sand (if you are into that type of image manipulation). Head angle mentioned already. Very pleasing overall!

Neil Nourse
06-24-2011, 11:44 AM
Thought the sand was snow at first!Guess I'm 3rd in line!! Looks like a cold winter evening...

Like the comp, head angle could be better but still a nice shot.

TFS Neil

Kaustubh Deshpande
06-24-2011, 02:38 PM
Mitch, the background color and the pose are very nice. Very nice feel to the image.

I am afraid the large amount of foreground is not working for me. I'd have preferred a horizontal crop even if it included some vegetaion on the left side. HA issue is also there as noted by others.

Dave Leroy
06-24-2011, 04:34 PM
Lovely image and neat mood created.

I like the striding pose and inclusion of habitat.

My preference is also for a tighter crop off bottom to remove oof sand.

Very well done.

Dave

Jonathan Ashton
06-25-2011, 02:58 AM
Very nice mood to the image. I quite like the composition though I would like to see an alternative with more sky and less sand.

Bill Dix
06-25-2011, 03:29 PM
Almost a surreal look, with the dark sky and uphill look. I echo Jonathan's sentiments; I like what you're doing with the comp, but it might also work with about 1/3 less foreground and a bit more sky. In any event, a striking image.