PDA

View Full Version : Lily Bud Flexing Its Muscles

Brendan Dozier
06-23-2011, 06:28 PM
Took some macro shots at the local park today, and this lily bud caught my eye. Thought it had very dynamic look to it, as it begins the process of unflolding. The lower curled extension kind of looked like an arm flexing its muscle. Crop, CS5, surface blur & darkened BG, cleaned up some spots, some burning to tone down higlights & Topaz Detail to sharpen.

7D, EF100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, Tripod
1/60
ISO 400

C & C welcome & appreciated,

- Brendan

Roman Kurywczak
06-24-2011, 09:17 AM
Hey Brendan,
Really nice catch on this bloom. A small step right may have given you a bit of seperation in the one petal and main part.....but I find that a very minor issue as the rest all works very well! Very nice job and nice find!

Jerry van Dijk
06-24-2011, 02:32 PM
Hi Brendan, well spotted! I also like the curling of the flower and I like that you put the focal point right in the flower center. This would have worked well from straight up front as well!

Dave Leroy
06-24-2011, 04:23 PM
Very neat photo Brendan and good for you to have seen it. You have captured a lovely pattern.

And I really like the dof.

Dave

Steve Maxson
06-25-2011, 10:11 AM
Hi Brendan. This is very cool - looks like I need to pay more attention to lily buds. :S3: Nice comp, patterns, and sharpness. The bud also stands out nicely against the background. Well done.

noelle zaleski
06-26-2011, 12:36 PM
Well done Brendan! I like the curves :S3:

Has it bloomed yet? It looks like a moon flower bud to me. They are excellent flowers to photograph just for their lovely buds.

Brendan Dozier
06-27-2011, 11:04 AM
Thanks everyone, much appreciated!

Has it bloomed yet? It looks like a moon flower bud to me. They are excellent flowers to photograph just for their lovely buds.

Your right Noelle, did a google image search, and it is a type of Moonflower. Just posted another image of the boom.

Anita Bower
06-28-2011, 04:15 PM
You captured beautiful detail and still have a blurred bg. Well done. Those petal tips look like tentacles reaching out. Unusual colors. Very nice!