PDA

View Full Version : Little Fly

Dave Leroy
06-23-2011, 06:06 PM
I took this a couple days ago in my backyard. There was a bit of breeze and some overcast so hard to get any dof.
7D, 100mm f/2.8 macro, Kenko Extension tubes, 1/50, f/5.6, ISO 640.

Leveled to "horizon" and cropped a bit. Perhaps I needed to have taken a bit from right side.

Dave

Brendan Dozier
06-23-2011, 06:39 PM
This is really wonderful, Dave! Very clean but interesting comp. Love the low angle, super sharp detail on head & eyes, color combinations, and shallow DOF really works well with this composition. Like the one sharp leg standing on the thin line of FG that is sharp. Way to achieve a cool looking composition during windy conditions. Nice work! :cheers:

bhavya joshi
06-24-2011, 01:23 AM
Just Excellent Macro.. Dave.. sharp eye. Nice comp.and I like the Low angle too.:c3:

christopher galeski
06-24-2011, 02:54 AM
very nice Dave,love the color of this fly,excellent sharpness in the head.thanks for showing.

Carel v/d Sanden
06-24-2011, 03:16 AM
Excellent macro.
Pretty sharp eyes, I would focus areas with a noise editing program.
They seem to me to contain some noise.

Saravana Gurusamy
06-24-2011, 04:18 AM
Very interesting composition... Really nice. TFS

Roman Kurywczak
06-24-2011, 09:14 AM
Hey Dave,
You know I generally prefer more DOF......but this works for me as the face is sharp where it needs it and the angle is very nice also. I would tone down the brightest area of the wing a bit.....not totally, but a few points. I've also debated the room.....I think I like the comp as presented so the OP crop works best IMO. Very nicely done and the monor tweak will take it over the top!

Jerry van Dijk
06-24-2011, 02:34 PM
Hi Dave, great composition. You just got to love those eyes! I like that the fly has a little room to the right, so I wouldn't crop it off. Well done!

Dave Leroy
06-24-2011, 04:25 PM
Thanks guys and I will have a look at toning the wing down a bit before putting away.

Dave

Steve Maxson
06-25-2011, 09:59 AM
Hi Dave. This looks like one of the Long-legged Flies (Family Dolichopodidae). These are very attractive little flies, but I can never seem to get a photo of them using flash - the MT-24EX fires a brief "pre-flash" before the main flash fires (this is not really noticeable to my eye) and in the split second before the main flash fires, the fly has already flown away leaving me with an empty frame. Very few insects are quick enough to pull this off. :S3: You have lots of good comments above so I don't have anything new to add. I think I might prefer a tighter crop, but the OP also works well. Well done.

Mitch Haimov
06-27-2011, 02:26 PM
Beautifully done, Dave! The Shallow DOF works for me--you placed it perfectly. The sharp leg is a plus, as mentioned by Brendan.