PDA

View Full Version : Which do you prefer?

Roman Kurywczak
06-23-2011, 09:16 AM
Another from my trip to Longwood Gardens last week. Nice and overcast for most of the day. This one was very close to a marker sign......had to wait for the wind to blow it around and get it away from the marker. I did a version with the entire leaf in and I will post it below.......which do you prefer and why?

Canon 1D Mark lll with the Sigma 180mm macro both at f32 and ISO 800 and MT 24 twin lights at 0. SS on this one 1/100 sec. HH and the image below with full leaf 1/160.

Roman Kurywczak
06-23-2011, 09:17 AM
This one was at 1/160 SS HH. Same other settings as above

Dave Leroy
06-23-2011, 10:11 AM
I had no problem in quickly preferring the composition of the second.

In the first, I could not figure out what the green stems were; they were not complete and to me distracting. In the second, I can see what they are, and they are complete.

I also think the flower in the second has a bit more pop.

The only suggestion I have for the second is to clean up a couple spots here and there, particularly in LLC.

Both are of course fine photos, and I look forward to the choice of others.

dave

Jerry van Dijk
06-23-2011, 03:26 PM
Hey Roman, both versions have their good points and weak points, but I prefer the first version. I would clone out the stems compeletely though (and maybe add a little canvas on top). My preference for the first is mainly because the flower is so beautiful and intricate, I feel it deserves full attention.
The second version give a nicely balanced composition with the green and purple, but gets less points from me because of the aforementioned reason for preferring the first, but also because I feel that the flower is too centered. If it was more off centered, for instance if you had stepped a little to the left, I think the composition would have been stronger.
Nice work!

bhavya joshi
06-24-2011, 01:41 AM
Hi Roman.. I Prefer the first version same as Jerry..In first one, Close up is nice and looking beautiful, but I also think that stem is bit distracting.. and in second one.. if flower in center.. and stem are clone down..Than it also look better.In both version The problem is stem.. but If you are thinking that I want stem in this images..for different creativity, Than I would suggusted first one..:S3:

Saravana Gurusamy
06-24-2011, 04:20 AM
My mind immediately chose the second one... The pop of the bright flower amidst the darkness and the diagonal leaf leading the eye out makes the second one my choice.

Brendan Dozier
06-24-2011, 10:20 AM
Great looking lily, Roman. Black BG really makes it pop. I like the first one a little better comp wise, but the sharpness looks better on the second. On the first one, I agree with Jerry that the stems should probably be removed. I think the stems in the second version, though interesting looking, are also somewhat distracting. Toning them down some might strengthen the comp.

Steve Maxson
06-25-2011, 09:22 AM
Hi Roman. Isn't it interesting how different the opinions are on these - just goes to show how subjective comp and cropping are. :S3: My strong preference is for the second image and Dave has already summarized my thoughts very well. You have two very strong images here - well done.

Anita Bower
06-28-2011, 04:18 PM
I prefer the first one, but agree with Jerry about adding some canvas and eliminating the green. Beautiful color, light and details.