PDA

View Full Version : Another From The Boatyard Grave

Nick Palmieri
06-23-2011, 08:36 AM
Just for a different version of the image Roman posted yesterday. I went with the natural sky. This is a 15 image HDR processed in Photomatix. I started with the painterly preset then played with the sliders a "bit", actually a lot. 70-200mm lens at 78mm, ISO 200, f/20, -2 to +2 EC at 1/3 increments starting at 1/60.

denise ippolito
06-23-2011, 07:16 PM
The grasses look cool, the boat seems a bit centered. The halos are distracting, especially around the boat and at the grass edge. The amount of water between the grasses and the boat seems too great for the balance of the image. Maybe if you had gotten lower? I love the subject. These are just my thoughts and they may not be your thoughts for the image. Everyone sees things differently and that is OK. I am only making suggestions based on my feelings toward the image.
Why 15 images, if I may ask?

Nick Palmieri
06-23-2011, 08:45 PM
A lot of things to learn from this image. I think the halos and the light delineations in the water and sky are caused by too many images. Moving water and moving clouds just won't always line up properly, especially when you are blending so many images. I also processed this image quite nicely with 3 images but was trying to cause a "semi-grunge" effect by just blending a bunch of images (just trying to push the envelope a bit). When doing HDR's, especially in circumstances where things are moving (like clouds and water) you really have to get the most data in the least number of images. The other challenge, is to create a grungy ship in a somewhat natural environment. Sort of the two opposite ends of HDR work. I guess you could dual process, one for the ship and one for the environment then blend. Just playing around...

denise ippolito
06-23-2011, 09:16 PM
I like that you were pushing the envelope and trying new things. It was very nice of you to share your findings with all of us. I look forward to more of your images.

Roman Kurywczak
06-24-2011, 09:23 AM
Hey Nick,
I see I have to go back and edit my real clouds! They turned out good ......although I would crop below the dark grey ones on the left. I was tough getting lower.....but Denise does make a good point about the distance between the grass and boat. Newt time bathing suit or waders to get lower:bg3:......although a pano crop may also fit the bill by removing the grasses and a good portion of the water. Just another option and idea for you to try out.

Nick Palmieri
06-24-2011, 10:11 AM
Me get low....It didn't work. Moving grasses on multiple image won't work from that angle but I do agree on the idea. No one usually goes as low as me.....Waders or boots for sure on the next expedition.