PDA

View Full Version : Ball's Falls Details

Andrew McLachlan
06-22-2011, 09:06 PM
Made a quick trip to another Niagara Escarpment waterfall, Ball's Falls, a couple of days ago. This one is near the town of Grimsby, Ontario. A two hour drive to the falls followed by a 20 minute hike and as soon as I get to the cascade it starts to pour rain. Found shelter under an overhang rock from where I made this image.

I shot a few various comps of this, some with more separation between the two cascades, but I think this one works better. The rock between the cascades is muted here by the water's spray.

Applied a little touch of Nik's Tonal Contrast filter and evicted a log on the rocks in the lower left.

Nikon D200
18-70mm lens @ 62mm
ISO 100
f16 @ 1.3 sec.
Polarizing filter

Look forward to comments.

Andrew Aveley
06-23-2011, 12:38 AM
I really like the lines in this image.......torn between the rocks or cropping semi pano above them ! I think a little green on the RHS may have balance the colours a little more ! Would love to see viewpoint from the left hand side with the rocks a little more centrally place with water converging behind ? Wish we had rocks like this to shelter under :bg3:

Roman Kurywczak
06-23-2011, 08:57 AM
Hey Andrew,
I love the LH side....not so fond of the RH side. I do think it is a flow isue though as the comp works......just wish I saw a bit more depth there......make sense? Still a very unique perspective and I think you need to re-visit this oen if the slow is a bit less on the RH side.

Rachel Hollander
06-25-2011, 08:21 AM
Andrew - well seen and captured. Good use of slow ss. I agree with Roman that the lhs is more pleasing. I'd be interested in seeing your others from the same area.

TFS,
Rachel

Jay Gould
06-26-2011, 05:54 AM
Agree with Roman; I think it would make a great vertical taking out most of the RHS.

The LHS is really soft and lovely.

Andrew McLachlan
06-29-2011, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the comments folks, much appreciated! With this waterfall by the time the right hand falls slows down the left hand one dries up. Will take a look at others I composed maybe something at a different angle might do the trick. Thanks again!