PDA

View Full Version : Grasshopper on a Thorny Perch

Mary Stamper
03-27-2008, 09:58 PM
Found this grasshopper on a dead rose bush last summer. It sat for long enough that I had ample opportunity to get a picture.

D2x
300 F4 + TC 1.4

Alfred Forns
03-27-2008, 10:15 PM
Hi Mary

I like it Very sharp and bug is parallel making in it all in focus Did not list all the tech info but a slight more dof could have gotten the legs in focus Framing wise would like the room you have behind up front Not sure if you could have moved to render the bg green? Excellent image !!!

John Cooper
03-28-2008, 03:39 AM
Excellent detail in this hopper Mary. Composition would be improved as Al suggested by having a little more space in front of insect.

Mary Stamper
03-28-2008, 06:48 AM
Thanks, everyone.

Further info was 1/90@f8 ISO 400

I took many different shots attempting to improve the background, but it wasn't going to happen without losing the parallel relationship between the camera and the bug. I really tried, but didn't want to risk disturbing it by trying to rearrange the hollyhock leaves against the wood of the deck. However, I'm wondering if the dark spot in the background doesn't provide a better contrast to the green of the animal than an all green background would have? I doubt that those hairs on it's neck would have shown up as well against a green background.

I agree about getting the front leg in focus. Not sure if that was possible. Perhaps with extremely minute adjustments or willingness to kick up the ISO. Even F8 doesn't buy much when your using 420 mm at minimum focusing distance. The 300 F4 focuses at just inside 5 feet. I didn't have the macro lens with me at the time, and not sure whether the bug would have tolerated me getting any closer.

Robert Amoruso
03-28-2008, 07:39 AM
Great looking macro on this grasshopper. I love the detail and colors in him Nits mention above.

Gus Cobos
03-28-2008, 08:52 PM
Congratulations Mary on an excellent image. Ilike it very much; the colors are intense, razor sharp grass hopper and the composition is dead on...:)

Once again, Big Congrats...:D

Mike Moats
03-30-2008, 08:43 AM
Hey Mary, a very nice image, and good to point out that you had tough condiitions working the BG. Sometimes it just doesn't work out to that perfect solid color BG we all strive for.

I like the nice sharp details and color. I would do a slight crop on the top . Well done.