PDA

View Full Version : Red-Necked Grebe

Roy Priest
06-22-2011, 01:55 AM
Took a one day road trip up country and came away with this image of a Red-Necked grebe vocalizing on it's nest. Cropped and cloned out some bright spots in the BG.

Nikon D700
500 mm
F4
1/500 sec
ISO 200

John Chardine
06-22-2011, 05:50 AM
Nicely done Roy. What a thrill to see one on the nest from a distance. The BG is great and the extra-low camera angle is perfect IMO. The light is nice a soft. There's a bit of a bluish cast to the image. If you assume the OOF highlights on the water should be roughly neutral (A=0, B=0 in LAB) they are actually running about A= -2, B= -7, which indicates a tinge of green and blue. If the head were angled towards you instead of away, the image would be much stronger.

James Boland
06-22-2011, 07:52 PM
I really like the capture and the whole setting. I agree with the comment about the head angle but sometimes you have to go with what is presented. Nice job.

Kerry Perkins
06-22-2011, 10:36 PM
Hi Roy, nice to see you here. What a great opportunity and a nice capture. Exposure is lovely in the soft light. Did you use auto white balance? The slight blue cast is fairly typical of that. In lieu of a head turn, could you have gotten around to the right a little bit? Nice job on this one! BTW, good for you for not disturbing the nesting by getting too close.

Tom Redd
06-23-2011, 02:46 PM
Roy, great comments so far, i agree on the HA but this is still a very nice image. What is the light streak in the BG behind the head? Excellent detail. TFS