PDA

View Full Version : Snapping Turtle Looming Large.

Daniel Cadieux
06-21-2011, 08:49 PM
This big gal was laying some eggs, so I felt comforatble lying flat on my stomach to get a better perspective. She was laying in the shade under a large tree, but whatever light present was backlit, so I used flash to fill ini the shadows. It made for a bit of a flat image, so I tried best I could to restore some depth (i.e. inside the carapace's "cavern" and under its' rim, and under the belly).

Canon 7D + 100-400L @135mm, aperture priority, evaluative metering, 1/80s., f/6.3, ISO 800, -0.3 EC, flash (-0.7 FEC), handheld, full-frame.

Jim Buescher
06-21-2011, 09:23 PM
The angle of the snapper really adds interest to this fantastic image. Good call on the flash. BG, sharpness, etc., all done well.

Steve Canuel
06-21-2011, 11:52 PM
Hard to get an upward angle on a turtle but you did an excellent job here Daniel. The view of the belly plate, spread front legs, and space between the shell and head make this pretty interesting and unique and adds to the "towering" appearance of the turtle. Doesn't look flat to me at all.

Vivaldo Damilano
06-22-2011, 01:24 AM
Excellent POV Dan, love the detail and those big spread feet. Good use of flash and good BG. Interesting character :S3:

Rachel Hollander
06-22-2011, 08:26 AM
Great POV and comp with pleasing bg. Nice to see something different.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
06-22-2011, 11:36 AM
Hi Daniel, nice to see you venturing over here and as Rachel said, with something different.

Ideal POV and placement in frame, with good perspective of the subject. Love the stance of 'bring it on...' looks a fisty fellow. Nice touch/detail withe the 'algae' (?) on the shell and on the side of the face. Judging by his/her stance the flash didn't bother them. Would like to have seen this posted slightly bigger though, just to emphasis the detail more. :w3

Hope to see some more posts soon.

TFS
Steve

Danny J Brown
06-22-2011, 05:48 PM
Beautiful shot of a snapper Dan....very nice and unique, as well.

DB

Sid Overbey
06-22-2011, 07:39 PM
What a great shot. I really like the way his eye is looking at you. Well done.

Ofer Levy
06-22-2011, 10:18 PM
Nice image. I like the low angle and pose.
I feel colours are a bit flat considering you have used a flash. Here is a repost to address this with some levels adjustments and boost in colours.

Daniel Cadieux
06-23-2011, 04:39 PM
Ofer, thanks for taking the time to work on my image. The difference between the untweaked raw file and my OP is pretty significant...but your added touch gives it a final polish that looks great:S3:

Brendan Dozier
06-23-2011, 10:06 PM
Love the angle on this, Daniel. How did you ever keep up with him to get that capture? :bg3:
Very interesting creature, and they have been around for eons!

Grant Atkinson
06-24-2011, 01:42 PM
Strong shot Daniel, great POV and background make it work for me..well done

Morkel Erasmus
06-24-2011, 05:53 PM
love the low angle Daniel, and good to see you posting here! :D

Ofer's repost has added some vibrance to take it to another level...

Andrew Aveley
06-25-2011, 04:33 AM
POV make this a great image !! I prefer the orig as repost a little to over saturated for me !:eek:

Steve Kaluski
06-25-2011, 05:21 AM
Hi Daniel, I think Ofer has raised a good point about it perhaps looking a little flat, but wonder if this is perhaps addresses both Ofers thoughts & Andrews comments about it being too saturated, offering a bit more depth/detail tonally coming through, but still keeping within your OP parameters, WDYT?

Steve