PDA

View Full Version : Yummy - looking Fly!

Richard Stern
06-19-2011, 12:16 PM
Common Raven looking longingly at a fly, while standing on the top edge of a dumpster.. Close to my home recently. This was the best of several crops I tried (and deleted). Added canvas at both ends. Bird was sharpened, and curves/ levels used. NR applied.

D7000, 300 f/4 AF-S + 1.7TC, 1/1000, f/6.7, ISO 800.

Thanks for looking and comments.

Richard

Grace Scalzo
06-19-2011, 04:23 PM
Hi Richard, There are some strong positives about your capture, the best to me is the unique action of the bird looking so intently at the bug. The brick that he is standing on is pretty unappealing (altho I do understand that we don't always choose these things) and your processing has some flaws in it. I can see where you added canvas, and something overlapped the bird on the right side. Might be worth re-working.

Daniel Cadieux
06-19-2011, 04:55 PM
I too like the play between raven and fly. Not crazy about the perch, but it does convey the urban adaptation of this species. There is a bit of a haze on the bottom part of the raven, and agree with Grace's other comments.

gail bisson
06-19-2011, 05:52 PM
Very awesome details in the black feathers. I like the action this picture portrays. Agree with everyone about the hazy bits on the raven.TFS
Gail

Richard Stern
06-19-2011, 06:43 PM
Hi,

It's so easy to miss these details! But I agree with the comments, and have re-worked this image. I hope people feel that this version has addressed the issues.

Richard

noelle zaleski
06-20-2011, 04:58 AM
I like the curious look the raven is giving :S3:

Kaustubh Deshpande
06-20-2011, 01:59 PM
Richard, interesting interaction. Repost is a definite improvement. excellent details. Pity about the perch, though. You did very well with the harsh light.