PDA

View Full Version : Nikon Travel lens for birds/wildlife decided.

Steven Kersting
06-19-2011, 08:47 AM
Previously I had enquired for recommendations for a portable travel lens in the 400-600mm range.

Because one of the keys to the decision was portability (airplane/helicopter/motorcycle/kayak, etc) the large fast primes were not good choices, plus I couldn't justify such an expense to myself at this time.

So I've ended up with my 70-200 VRII and a 2x TC EIII. After initial tests this seems quite adequate. Obviously some compromises, but it compares quite favorably with a 500mm f/4.3 prime I had (Sigma EX).

This was a pleasant surprise since the lens was completely dysfunctional when used with a Sigma EX 2x TC. In testing the Nikon 2x was just as good as the Sigma 2x when attached to my sigma 300-800 lens. Not notably better in this application, but not worth keeping the Sigma TC either.
I did modify the Nikon TC in order to allow it to mount on other lenses :eek:. Surprisingly I find it works well with many lenses it was not "meant" to attach to....I wonder if that is so you "have to" buy the expensive lenses first instead of extending a shorter cheaper lens.

James Shadle
06-21-2011, 07:43 AM
Steven,
I modified myTC-14E. I used it on my Nikon 70-300 VR.
AF was slow, however I was impressed with the IQ.
James

Steven Kersting
06-22-2011, 01:01 PM
I'm sure the AF is slower with the TC, but not significantly so. I haven't tried any BIF, but I did shoot a soccer tournament with good results. The focus limiter on the lens helps.