PDA

View Full Version : Verreauxs' Eagle

Arno Ellmer
06-19-2011, 12:48 AM
Image created last week at the Walter Sisulu National Botanical Gardens in Roodepoort ,close to my home in Johannesburg.
This eagle is one of a pair that has been nesting here ,in a built-up urban environment, since the 1970's. The female is reportedly now about 40 years or older.
They currently have a chick on the nest which hatched about two weeks ago.
Read more about these famous Verreauxs' Eagles at www.blackeagles.co.za (http://www.blackeagles.co.za)

Canon Mk IV
Canon 500mm F4
f/5.6
1/5000
ISO 800
EC +1/3
Cropped on all sides to re-compose

Sinuhe Hahn
06-19-2011, 01:04 AM
Very impressive sharp eagle eye.
I was not aware of this pair of black eagles so close to JHB - and really hope the project to ensure their survival is successful.

Dumay de Boulle
06-19-2011, 03:00 AM
Head is nice and sharp and exp looks good, except under near wing. I would have maybe gone f8 as you had plenty SS. I think it would have given you more DOF to get more of the bird sharper... Nice one Arno

Vivaldo Damilano
06-19-2011, 03:59 AM
Love this close-up Arno, excellent head sharpness. There's a slight halo on the wing, not a nit. I find that I get the same when the BG is a sky, not sure why this happens.

Ofer Levy
06-19-2011, 04:13 AM
Light, colours, sharpness, eye contact and shooting angle are all great. The one thing that weakens this image for me is the composition - bird is too low in the frame.

Arno Ellmer
06-19-2011, 06:33 AM
Head is nice and sharp and exp looks good, except under near wing. I would have maybe gone f8 as you had plenty SS. I think it would have given you more DOF to get more of the bird sharper... Nice one Arno

I agree,Dumay.
I was shooting the bird flying across a dark green backdrop,needing lower f-stop to get higher ss.It then flew across the blue sky and there was no time to adjust.
Thanks for comment and suggestion.

Arno Ellmer
06-19-2011, 06:34 AM
Love this close-up Arno, excellent head sharpness. There's a slight halo on the wing, not a nit. I find that I get the same when the BG is a sky, not sure why this happens.

Thanks for your comment,Vivaldo. Will fix

Nico Steenberg
06-19-2011, 06:52 AM
Great sharp detail and exposure. I like the tight crop and colours. Super shot !

Waqar Amin
06-19-2011, 08:03 AM
Amazing, seems like camera is mounted on another bird who is flying near by.
Love the sharpness in Eagles eye.

Kaustubh Deshpande
06-19-2011, 09:43 AM
Arno, excellent details and good impact due to the tightness. I also think the crop can be a bit different....a tad more room in front will help it IMO.

Stu Bowie
06-19-2011, 10:38 AM
Hey Arno, Ive always wanted to climb up the hill at WS to get a shot at these guys. Great close up of the head and eye, and maybe cropping a bit off the top will create a better comp. Did you get any of the full eagle in flight?

Arno Ellmer
06-20-2011, 06:23 AM
Hey Arno, Ive always wanted to climb up the hill at WS to get a shot at these guys. Great close up of the head and eye, and maybe cropping a bit off the top will create a better comp. Did you get any of the full eagle in flight?

Yes,Stu ,did get a few . Will post later. Thanks for comments.

Arno Ellmer
06-20-2011, 06:23 AM
Thank you all for the suggestions and good comments.Always welcome and appreciated.