PDA

View Full Version : It's a Big Bad World Out There

Marina Scarr
06-18-2011, 06:49 PM
Photographed this Least Tern chick in its environment after it crawled out from under the protection of its parent at about 3 days old. The chick looked so vulnerable, but you can see how a predator could mistake him for a sea shell!

Canon 40D, Canon 400 DO & 1.4 @ 560mm
F8, 1/1250sec, ISO 400, manual mode
Tripod & Mongoose
No beach clean up at all

C & C welcomed and appreciated,

Marina Scarr
www.marinascarrphotography.com (http://www.marinascarrphotography.com)

James Shadle
06-18-2011, 07:02 PM
Talk about natural camo!
Thanks the help with your thought process for creating this image.

The image is sharp and well exposed.
The Tern is small in the frame and that works. The Tern's size drives home how vulnerable they are and how important their natural camo is.

The only thing I would suggest is having a little more room to the right of the Tern. IMO that would make this even stronger.

noelle zaleski
06-18-2011, 08:53 PM
Marina, the chick is absolutely adorable!! Can I keep it? :bg3:

Your title is perfect for the little chick. I agree there should be more space for him on the right.

Marina Scarr
06-18-2011, 09:14 PM
Here is another version at 1024 with more space on the right. What say you?

I checked my RAW and no beach clean up was done at all. I can't say I wasn't tempted, but I think this one works better left alone.

James Shadle
06-18-2011, 10:24 PM
I like this one better. That little bit of extra room does make a difference.

Brendan Dozier
06-18-2011, 11:38 PM
Very nice capture, Marina, like low angle, soft light and habitat in this. Does a good job communicating how the chick blends in with surroundings, and how delicate and fragile it is. Think the repost makes it even stronger, just wish to see the beak a little more clearly.

Ofer Levy
06-19-2011, 12:09 AM
Hi Marina, I am afraid this one doesn't work for me. Bird is too small in the frame and the sticks and dead leaves in the BG don't hold the image IMHO.

Dumay de Boulle
06-19-2011, 03:05 AM
I enjoy your work Marina but like Ofer this one doesn't work for me. Bird to small and almost hidden amongst the clutter...Maybe if the beach was cleaner. Im sure the idea was to produce what you produced. So well done for that