PDA

View Full Version : Stonehenge #3 - Shadows and Light

Rachel Hollander
06-18-2011, 09:30 AM
I wanted to try to accentuate the light coming through the openings in the stones so I got down low and used the stones to shield the lens from the sun as I shot into it.

Canon 7D
16-35 @ 16mm
1/125
f22
ISO 400
EC -1.0
CPL used
HH, cloned out some blown highlights, s/h, levels adjustment, cropped from lhs and top, sharpened in CS5.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Dave Mills
06-18-2011, 09:49 AM
Hi Rachel, I liked how you handled the comp but have done some modifications to it. I can see some detail in the original and thought I might bring out a bit more. I selected the stone and applied S/H to it.
I did the same to the sky separately. I couldn't resist adding a small touch of warmth to the sky using the Nik warming filter. Another idea...

Rachel Hollander
06-18-2011, 09:58 AM
Thanks Dave. I debated bringing out more detail in the stones, there's a lot more in the RAW, but actually darkened them to accentuate the light coming through. Maybe it was a mistake, I'm still undecided. Curious what others think. I like what you did with the Nik filter.

Thanks,
Rachel

Dave Mills
06-18-2011, 10:06 AM
Hi Rachel, One of my reasons for lightening the detail was the large neg space created on the center left if the area remained as a strong silhouette. I felt with more detail showing it negated the look...
Always tradeoffs I guess..

Roman Kurywczak
06-19-2011, 09:21 AM
Hey Rachel,
I do think your op has merit.....but I would emphasize the light shafts/grasses even more.....similar to Dave's repost. I must admit I do like the bit more detail in his repost if I was to choose......but nice to have a few options. Glad to see you experimented with your time out there! Nicely done!

dankearl
06-19-2011, 12:13 PM
Rachel, I would try turning the stones totally black.
What little detail is brought out, to me, is not that interesting and a complete silhouette would be more interesting with the light and the sky.

Brendan Dozier
06-20-2011, 10:51 AM
Rachel, I really like your Stonehenge images, not completely sure, and don't know how big a crop you made, but think the silhouette look for this might work better if you pulled back some.

Rachel Hollander
06-20-2011, 08:45 PM
Thanks Dave, Roman, Dan and Brendan for the comments and suggestions, much appreciated. I'll have to play with this image a little more in PP to see what I like best.

Thanks again,
Rachel