PDA

View Full Version : Water Lily

Nick Palmieri
06-18-2011, 07:12 AM
Shot this one on a recent trip to Longwood Gardens in Pa. I am trying hard to like the image but not completely working for me, too tight???. I purposely shot it very tight, I cropped a bit off the bottom otherwise its full frame. Shot with my Canon 7D, with 180mm lens, 12mm extension tube and 1.4 tele-convertor and twin-lite flashes. ISO 200, f/22, 1/60, -1 flash EC

Jay Sheinfield
06-18-2011, 01:47 PM
Love the colors. It feels cramped to me, and the leaf clips leave you with a saw-tooth edge boundary which can be distracting. As a general rule I try not to cut these lilys at all. Something to consider, and, just my opinion of course.

Roman Kurywczak
06-19-2011, 09:56 AM
Hey Nick,
I'm with Jay.....either tighter.....or whole thing in. Given that you worked this......I'd imagine that version exists too!

Jerry van Dijk
06-19-2011, 10:33 AM
Hi Nick, it seems that you were on two thoughts here: a close up of the lily flower, or one of the lily being mirrored in the water. But you chose neither :S3:. Since this is almost full frame, I'd make your decision for the first and crop close on the actual flower as suggested above and go back some time for the other one, because it will work out great as well I think.
IQ on the lily is excellent, so I think you will have no problem with a tight crop.

Nick Palmieri
06-19-2011, 01:33 PM
Thanks guys, Jerry I think you nailed the problem, competing interests, that's what was bugging me but I couldn't put my finger on it. I could not get at a good angle to get the low angle, reflection, and entire flower. Believe me, and ask Roman who was there, I would have needed waders to get the angle I really wanted. I am not sure how I managed to stay dry, or not drop my camera in the pond. Not to worry gang, I have every other version possible including a tighter crop, and the entire flower. Thanks.

Anita Bower
06-20-2011, 06:21 AM
This image almost works as a Georgia O'Keefe floating flower. It would if there were a bit more room at the top. Gorgeous colors and sharpness.

Steve Maxson
06-21-2011, 10:21 AM
Hi Nick. Beautiful light and IQ! Lots of good suggestions already for you to consider. I think this would work for me if the tips of the top petals were included.