PDA

View Full Version : Moeraki Boulders, New Zealand

Jay Gould
06-18-2011, 06:43 AM
These amazing hunks of round rock are found lying along the Koekohe Beach on the Otago Coast of New Zealand. They and the surrounding structures presented many challenging opportunities for images. More to be posted!

The color was in the sky and the Grads helped bring it out. PP actually toned down the sky and added some contrast to the image.

We happen to love the image so much that we are having it printed 3' x 2' and putting it on the ceiling above our bed in the caravan! :bg3:

Camera: 5D2
Capture date/time: 30 Apr 11; 5:30AM
Light condition: sunrise
Lens: 16-35 f/2.8
Focal length:31mm
Distance: 655m
Extender: none
Tube: none
Flash/Comp:
ISO: 100
Exp Prog: Av
Speed: 1.3
Aperture: f/20
Exp Comp: none
Metering: Evaluative
WB: Auto
AF Drive: One-shot AF
Tripod: yes
Filter: SR GND and RGND
Crop: minimal from bottom
Images Changes: stuff I didn't like removed!

Processed in LR3 and CS5, Topaz Denoise, and Pixel Genius Sharpening.

All C&Cs gratefully appreciated!

Don Railton
06-18-2011, 07:25 AM
I Love this too Jay...its beautiful.
Early morning on a NZ beach, what else could one wish for...

DON
(ex pat Kiwi...)

peter delaney
06-18-2011, 08:29 AM
Hi Jay

Your recent posts have been really great, this is no exception , I was in two minds about the inclusion of the sun whether it detracted or not...

but the more I look the more I think it works ... mirroring the rock on horizon

Dave Mills
06-18-2011, 09:27 AM
Hi Jay, Good job on the exposure and your handling of the technicals. Even though the foreground rock is massively dominant IMO works well with the balance of the image. I like the fact you captured detail on it instead of showing it in silhouette. Another idea is to crop out the rocks on the rt up to the rt of the 2 smaller rocks. This gives the eye a progression out to the sun. My only reservation on that crop is it makes the rock even more dominant. Either way well handled and it's nice seeing your progression...

Rachel Hollander
06-18-2011, 09:39 AM
Jay - a different look than the usual shots of the Boulders. Beautiful colors of the sunrise and I like the soft water. Well done.

TFS,
Rachel

Jay Gould
06-18-2011, 05:33 PM
Hi, thank you for the kind comments.

Dave, I did a crop that put the center of the boulder on the 1/3 line (removed RH rocks as you suggested and a bit from LH) and the sun on the 1/3 line (a smidge off the bottom). The problem is that the boulder is so prominent that it prevents you from walking into the image.

As presented I can feel myself and see the other walking past the boulder to other locations. Thanks for your thoughts; you have and please continue to be a great mentor.

Roger Clark
06-19-2011, 06:41 AM
Hi Jay,

Beautiful image. I like the composition and the inclusion of detail on the rock. I've been there once, but not at sunrise. (Have to go back.) Nicely done and I would not change any composition.

Roman Kurywczak
06-19-2011, 09:11 AM
Hey Jay,
I know you are a man after my own heart with bold colors......so won't get into pulling back the reds in the sky a bit!:w3.......I like the comp as is.....I'm guessing you flashed the boulder?.....or was it the use of the RGND?.......which would really shine in theis case! All in all very well done!

dankearl
06-19-2011, 12:16 PM
Gorgeous, the sky is awesome and the exposure on the rock is about perfect.
Very well done.

Andrew Aveley
06-19-2011, 03:48 PM
great use of filters and superb colour :) really think it is a great composition :eek:

Jay Gould
06-19-2011, 05:59 PM
Hey Jay,
I know you are a man after my own heart with bold colors......so won't get into pulling back the reds in the sky a bit!:w3.......I like the comp as is.....I'm guessing you flashed the boulder?.....or was it the use of the RGND?.......which would really shine in theis case! All in all very well done!

No flash!! All by filters. If I remember correctly, and my CRAFT memory is very active, I HH and slightly moved up and down during the exposure to avoid filter lines a 3-stop hard GND, a 3-stop RGND, and a 1-stop soft GND (turned upside down to protect the sand), all held together, because when the sun peaked everything started to go very red and blow out. I was waiting for this moment because I did not want the color from the sun to extend beyond the water. You could see the red moving towards the water's edge. I thought it was important to keep the sand around the boulder neutral.

I made several images as the sun rose; this was my keeper.

I have since purchased and switched from the Cokin holder to the Lee holder system for longer exposures and to avoid vignetting my 16-35. Still trying to decide whether to go with a 105 PL or individual PLs. Your thoughts?

Brendan Dozier
06-20-2011, 10:56 AM
Awesome colors and composition, Jay! Beautiful scene and love the rock in FG. Very well done! :cheers:

Andrew McLachlan
06-22-2011, 08:46 PM
Jay, a little late to the party, but I love this as is. The boulder is well placed and illuminated beautifully!

Steve Uffman
06-25-2011, 10:21 PM
Magical! Absolutely Magical

Understand why you love the shot and luvtravln

want to hear more about how you used the three filters. Have the Cokin system and several singh ray ND filters...not tried them in triplicate before

Will be at that spot in Jan. could not image getting an image that wonderful! (Imitation is a form of flattery. Know I am inspired to get up early and try!)

Jay Gould
06-25-2011, 10:41 PM
Thank you so much for all the kind comments.

To use the three filters - all 4x6 - i simply stacked the GND & RGND & turned a 1 stop soft GND upside down to create a package of three which I held between my thumb and index finger.

One second is a long time!

Once I have focus lock using 10x magnification in LV in manual focus, of course, I return to normal view and position the filters with my right hand and fire the shutter with my left hand.

The moment I fire the shutter I start quickly moving the filter up and down a 1/4 to 1/2" to prevent a filter line. In an image like this it is not quite as necessary where the darks and lights are clearly defined. However, when shooting an evenly colored landscape where you are preventing blowouts, you need to erase the filter line.