PDA

View Full Version : Should all posts or threads trigger subscription?

Sean McMahon
03-27-2008, 07:08 PM
Hey Blake et al,

I was thinking that maybe the default should be that when you create a thread or post to it, shouldn't you just autmatically be subscribed with an email alert?

Several reasons for me asking:
Sometimes users can forget to subscribe to their own threads.

And also, when another user comments, and the thread author has a clarifying question, they sometimes go unanswered because the user the question is directed to never looks back at that post.

If this is not practical for you guys to set as a "default" for all, then can I set it for just me?

Thanks!
Sean

Robert Amoruso
03-27-2008, 08:12 PM
Good question and I am interested in this too Blake.

Daniel Cadieux
03-27-2008, 08:40 PM
You can set that yourself under "User CP", and then "edit options". I'm sure the default is "Do not subscribe" (I don't remember as this is one of the first things I changed), but there is a drop down menu that lets you activate subscribed threads, and how you you will be notified of activity in those threads.

Blake Shadle
03-27-2008, 08:46 PM
That is the way it works ;) For me anyhow... Whenever I create a new thread, or post to any thread, I'm subscribed and get an email notification.

Check your User Control Panel. Go to the User CP, and click "Edit Options" on the left hand side.

Then scroll down to the fourth (4th) group box entitled "Default Thread Subscription Mode".

Select "Instant email notification" in the drop down list there.

Scroll down and click "Save Changes".

You should be good to go ;)

The reason for this is that not everyone will want instant email notifications right out of the gate. I know those people will be the minority, but the way that the system is setup now we remain OPT-IN and CAN-SPAM compliant. If we start sending emails (even 2 or 3) to a person that doesn't want them, I'll end up on the phone on hold with Yahoo! getting our mail server removed from their blocked senders list :D

Blake Shadle
03-27-2008, 08:47 PM
Thanks, Daniel... I can't believe it took me 6 minutes to write that last post!! :eek: You beat me to it ;)

Daniel Cadieux
03-27-2008, 09:06 PM
I'm one of those that doesn't like e-mail notification for subscribed threads. I rather just click on "Quick Links" and select "Subscribed Threads" from there. Rather easy to see which ones have had the latest activity - this is how I got to quickly find out about your six minute type-up!! :-)