PDA

View Full Version : Herring Gull

Karl Egressy
06-17-2011, 09:05 PM
I took a few pictures of this gull catching and carrying fish. This was taken before the fishing.
Thanks for looking.

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
Manual Exposure
Tv 1/2000
Av 4.0
Spot Metering
ISO 400
EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM +1.4x

Doug Brown
06-17-2011, 09:31 PM
I like the landing pose and the nice exposure control. I wish the bird was landing towards us instead of away from us. And there appears to be a slight halo around the bill. The BG looks a little funny in places (vertical line in front of the feet, horizontal line across the sky 1/3 of the way down from the top).

Grace Scalzo
06-17-2011, 09:42 PM
Nice looking bird, I see those odd effects in the background as well.

Bhargava Srivari
06-17-2011, 11:53 PM
Nicely executed image, except for the odd patches on the sky (BG, I mean). Spot healing brush tool?

Karl Egressy
06-18-2011, 02:23 AM
I like the landing pose and the nice exposure control. I wish the bird was landing towards us instead of away from us. And there appears to be a slight halo around the bill. The BG looks a little funny in places (vertical line in front of the feet, horizontal line across the sky 1/3 of the way down from the top).

Thank you very much. I'm truly amazed of your eyesight Sir.
I used to be like you thirty years ago.
I enlarged the image to 400 percent before I posted it and went through to find possible imperfections. I did it again now and I couldn't see anything.
Yes I cloned out a utility post just in front of the bird.
Well, that's the best I can do as far as seeing little details with cataract on both eyes.
Do you think it spoils the whole picture? Is it so bad? Unfortunately I'll never see these tiny details again. Sometimes it's a blessing.:bg3:

Stu Bowie
06-18-2011, 06:28 AM
Good landing pose Karl with the raised wings, and overall, well exposed. I do see what Doug is seeing.

gail bisson
06-18-2011, 06:07 PM
I love the landing pose. I also see what Doug is seeing. Maybe a little gaussian blur to smooth it all out? The whites are beautifully exposed.
Gail