PDA

View Full Version : Unknown Golden Bug

Paul Lagasi
06-17-2011, 06:19 PM
This image was taken in southwestern Saskatchewan, in the Cyprus hills. Checked most of my Eastern Bug Guides and see nothing close.
I wanted to get an image first, then when I boosted the f-stop to get more DOF he flew away, too bad interesting bug.
Anyone have any ideas, what this bug might be?

Image taken with
D7000 Nikon
AF-S 105 macro
1/640
iso 640
handheld

Steve Maxson
06-17-2011, 07:32 PM
Hi Paul. Very interesting golden color on this guy. This is clearly a fly - that narrows it down to only 17,000 North American species. :t3 My insect guides don't show anything quite like this - you might try your luck with bugguide.net to see if they can figure it out.

Nick Palmieri
06-18-2011, 06:54 AM
Cool looking bug (fly?). Love the eye. I may tone down the bright leaf on the right of the frame in front of his head. I like the tone and texture of the hair on his back.

Norm Dulak
06-18-2011, 07:29 AM
A very interesting critter, well composed and sharp, although I too might suggest toning down that leaf a bit.

You might try the Smithsonian to find out what it is. I once photographed an interesting insect in Panama, sent it to the Smithsonian, and got a very prompt answer while I was still in Panama. They really know their stuff.

Jerry van Dijk
06-18-2011, 03:08 PM
Hi Paul, if I'm not mistaken, this is Scathophaga stercoraria , the Common yellow (or Golden) dung fly. It eats other insects (mainly other flies) and nectar and pollen. It gets its name for laying eggs in animal dung. The eggs have a kind of wing like structure, to prevent them to sink in too deeply into fresh dung and suffocate (that would be one horrible death.. Yuck! :eek:). Once hatched the larvae feed on other larvae that live in the dungpile.
Too bad you hadn't have time to stop down, but I also like it as presented. I would add some sharpness, though.

Steve Maxson
06-18-2011, 04:38 PM
Hi Paul, if I'm not mistaken, this is Scathophaga stercoraria , the Common yellow (or Golden) dung fly. It eats other insects (mainly other flies) and nectar and pollen. It gets its name for laying eggs in animal dung. The eggs have a kind of wing like structure, to prevent them to sink in too deeply into fresh dung and suffocate (that would be one horrible death.. Yuck! :eek:). Once hatched the larvae feed on other larvae that live in the dungpile.
Too bad you hadn't have time to stop down, but I also like it as presented. I would add some sharpness, though.

I think you nailed it Jerry - good work! :S3:

Paul Lagasi
06-18-2011, 09:10 PM
Thanks Jerry..ditto..good one...thank you all

Roman Kurywczak
06-19-2011, 09:50 AM
Hey Paul,
Agree with the toning down and more dof......but great isolation and some USM on the head and body may just be enough! Very nicely done!

Paul Lagasi
06-19-2011, 11:11 AM
Thanks Everyone, made a few changes, sharpened the head..remove the blades of grass...I can now add the Golden Dung Fly to my Insect files....:w3

Brendan Dozier
06-21-2011, 03:42 PM
Very cool looking fly, Paul, and nice capture and comp. Repost looks great, nice work!

John Chardine
06-27-2011, 02:16 PM
Paul- Please tell me you are not now trying to get a photo of every insect species in the Peterson's Field Guide???!

Paul Lagasi
06-27-2011, 08:16 PM
LOLOL...god no but I do have 147 identified bugs now. When there's no birds around, at least bugs start with the same letter...:bg3:

Thanks Everyone..

John Chardine
06-27-2011, 08:29 PM
BTW, a beautiful macro image! Great colour and super sharp. The halteres show up well here- the little knobbed structure above the middle leg. They are reduced rear wings which act like gyroscopes and help with orientation.