PDA

View Full Version : rocks and ocean

peter delaney
06-17-2011, 03:50 PM
D3S 200-400mm 1.6 sec f16 iso 100

Went out this evening at high tide to capture the effect of after storm swell... I know the scene maybe a bit busy..

I did not open up all the dark areas as I wanted to create a dark mood to contrast with some of the lighter areas in the waves..

Rachel Hollander
06-17-2011, 05:44 PM
Peter - nicely done. Almost looks other worldly. I like the effect of the slow ss throughout but especially on the water running off the rocks. I find the brighter spots in the fg a little distracting as they draw the eye but I find the top 2/3 of the image more interesting. So as an alternate comp I think you could take some from the bottom and have a nice pano as well.

TFS,
Rachel

Jay Gould
06-18-2011, 06:52 AM
Peter, it is like a mini uplifting; it definitely works for me.

I tried to crop it to a pano; no place to do so without leaving some rocks encroaching into or out of the image which is most of the time worse than "no".

I have no problem using the wonderful Content-Aware Fill to remove anything that offends my sense of "art". In this case I would not hesitate to remove the small rock in the LLHC at the edge of the image so as to allow for a clean line of water at the bottom. Lasso the little guy and it is gone!

My two cents; and, if you don't that is OK too. I like the image.

Rachel Hollander
06-18-2011, 07:41 AM
Peter - I hope you don't mind but here is what I was thinking for the pano crop. I understand what Jay was saying about the encroaching rocks but the OP already has only parts of rocks in the llc. I like both and just wanted to show an alternative without the light areas in the FG of the OP. Let me know if you want me to remove it, especially because the crop cut your name off it. :eek:

Rachel

peter delaney
06-18-2011, 08:36 AM
Thanks Jay and Rachel, appreciated the feedback and the repost, please your both very welcome to work/rework any of my images any time..

Jay , I hear what you are saying I had the same problem on top LHS of image but cropped it out,, will try and rework with your suggestions and use Rachel's pano crop as well, which I prefer than OP ..

thanks again to you both , you have been very helpful:S3:

Dave Mills
06-18-2011, 09:20 AM
Hi Peter, I think Rachel's crop works but I like the image close to the original where I would only crop above the very small rock in the foreground.(similar to Jay's suggestion) I like the fact that you positioned the camera to have as few merges as possible. The soft water flow is appealing and almost blends into the sky. Debating about keeping in the clipped rocks on the left. Haven't fully made up my mind...overall well handled!

Jay Gould
06-18-2011, 06:35 PM
I too think Rachael's RP works. If there is going to be encroaching items - make the encroachment part of the scene! :cheers:

Well done Rachael!! :5

Roman Kurywczak
06-19-2011, 09:04 AM
Hey Peter,
I like alll the posts and the rock eviction idea the most! The slow SS and contrasts worked great here......I might pull back on the cyan or blue a bit......but it does add to the mood also and happen to be where I gravitate color wise......so all in all, very well done and unusual!

Brendan Dozier
06-20-2011, 10:54 AM
Very cool landscape capture, Peter! It does look a bit other worldly. Love the softness you achieved with the water. Repost looks great, nice work! :cheers: