PDA

View Full Version : Ermine moth

Jerry van Dijk
06-17-2011, 03:36 PM
A little Ermine moth (not sure of the species, we have several here, but my bet is on Yponomeuta padella). The moths are kind of cute, but their caterpillars can wreack havoc when they hatch in huge numbers at the same time. They can strip a tree completely in a week, leaving it coverd in large draperies of their communal webs.

I know that the general opinion here is that a closer crop is usually better, but while trying different crops, I kept getting back to the FF version, despite the large empty space on the right. I like how it emphasizes how small these moths actually are (about 10mm). Your opinions and alternative crop suggestions are very welcome!

Nikon D7000, Nikkor 200mm f/4 Micro, handheld, ISO-560, f/9, 1/200 sec., JPEG.
ACR5/CS4, slight levels adjustment, sharpness.

Jay Sheinfield
06-17-2011, 06:20 PM
I like it. The large amount of space is fine by me. Nice contrast of the moth with the BG. Soft pleasant coloring. If it were mine I might look at cloning that OOF blade of grass, which kind of appears like a double image. Your call, I still like it as is. Nice work!

Paul Lagasi
06-17-2011, 06:43 PM
Image shows well, you did very good getting this small little moth. The sharpness and detail very nice. I like it as presented.

Saravana Gurusamy
06-18-2011, 02:52 AM
Wonderfully soft and pleasing picture. I love such shots. I might give all that space on the left than right... but I do like it as presented. TFS.

Nick Palmieri
06-18-2011, 06:57 AM
I like the color of the moth and appreciate the composition as it does show scale. Nice as presented in my opinion.

Jerry van Dijk
06-18-2011, 11:44 AM
Thanks for commenting! It's always reassuring to find that it's not just me....:S3:

OvidiuCavasdan
06-19-2011, 03:17 AM
Tiny moth but good looking against green clean BG. I think another option is to compose this with the perch a bit more diagonal and still showing the scale. I dont mind the second oof leaf, I even like it. Well done.

Roman Kurywczak
06-19-2011, 09:48 AM
Hey Jerry,
I do think I would have preferred this more on the diagonal with all that space.......so crop would work better for me off R and bottom. I actually like the 2nd blade of grass......and the BG is fantastic. Crop is subjective........so all in all very well done!

Steve Maxson
06-19-2011, 11:36 AM
Hi Jerry. I'm OK with all the space - it gives you that small "bug" in a big world feel. Excellent background and an interesting subject. I would wish that all of the moth was sharp - the rear part of the wings are going soft. A slightly different camera position would likely get all of the moth in your DOF - but this can be challenging to judge when hand holding a rig like this in the field - as I'm sure you're finding out. :S3: You're getting better with the new gear so keep up the good work!

Brendan Dozier
06-21-2011, 03:35 PM
Love the simplicity to this composition, Jerry. Very nicely done!