PDA

View Full Version : Lunar Eclipse from South Africa

Mitchell Krog
06-17-2011, 03:35 PM
Hi folks

I captured this image on Wednesday evening during the lunar eclipse over South Africa. This image was taken at 9:02pm when the moon was about 50% in shadow. This image is not manipulated or modified in any way whatsoever, this is what came straight out of camera. The optical effect was quite likely caused by misting and heavy dew fall that evening, even though I was cleaning lenses with an anti-mist cloth every 2 minutes. What I do find interesting is that the optical effect actually shows the moon being cast in a shadow, sitting in a tunnel of Earth's blue light giving us a view into deep space.

Enjoy

subramanya_ck
06-17-2011, 08:50 PM
Oh Man, finest image of an eclipse I have seen so far. Congrats for making such a nice image

Mitchell Krog
06-18-2011, 04:12 AM
Thank you very much Subbu :)

Dave Mills
06-18-2011, 09:04 AM
Hi Mitchell, I like this unusual image. The offset placement of the moon is effective and just enough land silhouette. Normally I might say too much negative space on top but in this case I feel it adds to the story and gives it room to move into. This image is best looked at with a black backround so all the detail in the sky could be better seen...Nice one!

Mitchell Krog
06-19-2011, 08:55 AM
Thanks very much Dave, appreciate your input.

Roman Kurywczak
06-19-2011, 08:57 AM
Hey Mitchell,
Don't forget to post the specs when you get a chance so others can learn from what you did! Like Dave, I don't generally like that much negative space although I would be still tempted to remove about 1/2 of it up top above the moon. Very cool effect and I really like the way this turned out! Very nicely done!

Morkel Erasmus
06-24-2011, 05:41 PM
Mitch this is some special light! I like it as posted with some star details and a sense of "in a galaxy far far away" :)