PDA

View Full Version : New sharpening technique

Dumay de Boulle
06-16-2011, 02:46 PM
I am trying out a new sharpening technique that was shared with me by my mate and fellow BPN member Stuart Bowie... Interesting to hear peoples thoughts.

Canon 7D
Canon 100-400 L IS @ 320mm
AV f7.1
TV 1/250
ISO 800
AWB
Subject Distance 10.8m
RAW file processed in CS5 iMac

Handheld, early morning very overcast conditions....Comments and crits appreciated:S3:

Dan Brown
06-16-2011, 02:59 PM
Very sharp looking to me! Please share the technique! I would probably remove the dew drops to the left of the cats head in the bg, my eye seems to be attracted to them!

Steve Kaluski
06-16-2011, 03:31 PM
Hi Dumay, OK let me ask just to clarify your question, is this through PS as per a sharpening action in PS or a product that is a form of 'Plug in/Stand alone you use?

Certainly it looks good, but then all the hard work should be at the sharp end, (sorry) the actual image. :w3

gail bisson
06-16-2011, 03:36 PM
Dumay,
You are a tease! What is the new sharpening technique?
I like this picture very much. I like the dew drops and the exposure. I find the little black lines on the face over sharpened. Otherwise , it looks good. I might clone out the blade of grass in front of lion's right lip.
Gail

Stu Bowie
06-16-2011, 11:07 PM
Comp works well, and I like the overall detail on the lion's head. Looks like he's had a few scraps. With regards to the sharpening, I feel you have nailed it. :w3 If anything, I would maybe tone down the lion a tad.

Steve Kaluski
06-17-2011, 01:32 AM
Hi Dumay, on reflection I think the question might be better raised in Digital Workflow.

Although most comments have been more in relation to the image which is key in this section, however, as I say, you may also wish to repost this question. Hope you will divulge the answer in due course. :w3

Steve

Andrew Aveley
06-17-2011, 03:04 AM
Great work all round ! If you are not against fine editing, maybe little sat on eyes !

Dumay de Boulle
06-17-2011, 03:41 AM
Thanks for the comments folks.

Steve I posted the image for critique and thoughts on the sharpening technique. Not on the workflow, but how it actually works in this image. I didn't ask a question but for comment and critique (Unless i'm misunderstanding what you are saying), but I feel this is the correct forum:S3:. I am aware that image should be sharp from camera, which this was...But I have looked at yours, Stuart,s and many other photographers who's work I really enjoy and liked the sharpening techniques used and wondered how I could do it as I was never really satisfied with the results I was achieving. I always found the sharpening technique I was using was very corse. For me the sharpness of a image is really appealing and important to me for my taste. And plays a vital roll in the final completed image posted for critique. I find some people posting amazing images, with incredible mood and powerful moments captured but because of there sharpening and editing I find them less appealing...Not that there is anything wrong with the image I just wish for better editing and sharpening on the image to bring out its full potential...But again, all to taste and thats my taste.:S3:
Also regarding you first question in pane 3, this is just a sharpening action in CS5, I am really not sure if there are any plug ins, as I have never done a software update or added any plug ins.

Stuart these lions are very light they are actually blonde maned lions, this to me is what I think and feel they look like regarding lightness, but I always value your input...And thanks for always helping me out with these PP tips.:S3:

Steve Kaluski
06-17-2011, 06:50 AM
Hi Dumay, in your OP you ask 'I am trying out a new sharpening technique that was shared with me by my mate and fellow BPN member Stuart Bowie... Interesting to hear peoples thoughts. ' therefore I feel it does fall more into a Workflow question rather than a Wildlife image critique. Saying that, we are where we are.:w3

There are sharpening applications within PS as you say, and everyone has thier own way of doing things, certainly for me, each image is treated differently in relation to this and it's final application, ie web, print, project etc. I personally have been trying a new version ($200) which offers a lot more, but as yet, not wholly convinced and have reverted back to PS.

Looking at the image I might just ease back a fraction on sharpening, but again it is all subjective, in my workflow I can do that rather than having to redo things. Again if it was me, I might do a hint of gardening with the grass stem & the leaf stem to the right on it's own. Colour looks good but am viewing on the laptop so... Would also just come in a fraction on the RHS. A good, clean image, with nice clarity and a good example of what the 7D can do, which for me is refreshing, as I am not truly convinced on the camera. :S3:

I still think people would be interested to know what you have done, as this is a key area that a lot of people have issues about. :w3

Albert Rizzo
06-17-2011, 12:20 PM
I am trying out a new sharpening technique that was shared with me by my mate and fellow BPN member Stuart Bowie... Interesting to hear peoples thoughts.

Canon 7D
Canon 100-400 L IS @ 320mm
AV f7.1
TV 1/250
ISO 800
AWB
Subject Distance 10.8m
RAW file processed in CS5 iMac

Handheld, early morning very overcast conditions....Comments and crits appreciated:S3:Hi Dumay,
Really like this shot. Based on the subject distance and focal length, it looks like you had most of the 7D's 5184x3456 pixels to work with. I use a Photoshop script which does an excellent job of sharpening and resizing, and was wondering if the technique you used was also of the sharpen+resize kind.
If not, I would be really interested in seeing your results without resizing. Please post a 100% crop of part of the sharpened photo before you resized it down to 1024x726 px.

peter delaney
06-17-2011, 12:55 PM
Hi Dumay

Interesting image, its always good to try improve our PP skills as they are just as important as our skills in capturing an image.

I cannot find fault with your sharpening technique but I agree with Steve about cropping on RHS and to clone maybe red spot above lions head as it pulls the viewers eye (as does the grass in FG)

I would be interested to know why you chose to handhold at such lower shutter speed and not shoot wide open to blur busy BKG and FG ..:S3:

Dumay de Boulle
06-17-2011, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the comments folks...Peter I used f7.1 as I wanted to try get a bit of DOF for the face and also feel that the 100-400 is not as sharp at f5.6 as wider open like f7.1 or f8.The Lion was also reasonably close at 10.8m, so felt more DOF was needed, and that SS was still fast enough to hand hold.I drive a Game viewer and dont have a door mount to put the camera on, so I have to hand hold (Im lucky, I have a reasonably steady hand:bg3:)

Thanks for pointing out the red spot, I had not even noticed it, and I do agree with you about the vegetation.

Thanks for commenting:S3:

Grant Atkinson
06-17-2011, 04:29 PM
Dumay, I am a bit late on this one, but the IQ looks very good to me, whatever you have done with yoru sharpening workflow. Like the eyes, the detail, the nice contrast of the lions colour with that of the grass and vegetation, and your comp works for me. Only thing for me with this shot is those OOF bit of vegetation in front of the lions face, in fact it is really just the one that extends quite far in front of his muzzle. Nicely done all around
cheers

Rachel Hollander
06-17-2011, 05:32 PM
Dumay - sharpness looks great. I like the comp and agree about the blade of grass. I'd also be interested in hearing the technique used.

TFS,
Rachel

Vivaldo Damilano
06-18-2011, 07:36 AM
Dumay sharpening looks very good infact will buy you a drink next time I visit mankwe, need to know your technique:w3:bg3: Great image, like the way you composed the image Well Done Bud.

Harshad Barve
06-24-2011, 03:22 AM
one beautiful image
TFS