PDA

View Full Version : First post- Black Bellied Plover

Jeff Nicol
06-15-2011, 03:39 PM
This is my first post on this forum. I have been enjoying the great work seen on here for some time. I shoot with a D200/Sigma 50-500, not the best gear in the world but it does not mean I can not learn to make the most of what I have. This was taken at Barnaget Lighthouse this winter.

F8, 1/1000, ISO320

http://northeastfoto.com/gallery/files/1/8/6/2/2011_01290025.jpg

Jay Sheinfield
06-15-2011, 08:06 PM
I haven't posted here much, but I'll give it a go........first off, welcome! I like the pose, nice lighting. For my tastes, the bird is well placed in the frame. The tail of the bird in the background is a bit distracting...if it were mine I would give a shot at cloning it out, but that is an ethical thing. Overall, I like it a lot. Can't tell from my screen if the head could use a pinch of sharpening...........I'm sure you will get more experienced feedback from others............cheers

Kerry Perkins
06-15-2011, 10:42 PM
Hello Jeff, big warm welcome to BPN! My first thought for you is - hats off to you for your attitude of making the best of what gear you have. Super thinking and I wish more people had this idea! I've seen fabulous shots from not-so-expensive gear and lousy shots from high-end gear. Good for you!

I like this image a lot and the only major issue is the bird in the background. Would be a challenge to expel it, but might be worth the effort if you can! Excellent pose, head angle, exposure, color rendition, and composition. That's a lot to like. Super job of controlling the whites and getting the sun angle perfect. Could use a tad more sharpening. Look forward to lots more from you!

Hazel Grant
06-16-2011, 07:34 AM
Welcome, Jeff. Agree with above statements. The eye caught my attention first, and I consider that good.

Jeff Cashdollar
06-16-2011, 09:42 AM
Jeff,
Lots to like here. It is interesting to note the opportunity here is the background not the kit. Love the pose and look, composition only needs a cleaner backdrop to be stronger. Often, we go with what we have and this is a fine first post. My eye goes to the bird's eye and the muted background - nice job telling a story. Head and sun angle are correct and great eye - which is very important. A tad more sharpening and off you go - bring us more!