PDA

View Full Version : Etosha Landscape

Andrew Aveley
06-15-2011, 12:58 AM
A break from the traditional 'image' of Etosha. After truly magnificent rains it is a natural wonderland of grasses , trees and shrubs. Taken 20 min before sunset with sun off frame to the left.

Canon 5D MK 2 , 500 F4 , Manual , F11 , 1/160 , ISO 320, Bean bag and panning plate

Rachel Hollander
06-15-2011, 06:48 AM
Andrew - I like the pano comp here and the color. Curious if it is haze or dust giving the cloudy (?) effect near the trees. I definitely want to get to Etosha.

TFS,
Rachel

Dave Mills
06-15-2011, 08:13 AM
Hi Andrew.the image is nicely composed with the dark bands in the foreground adding some interest.
The pano crop works well here along with very few merges among the animals. The warm color emits a pleasing look also.
Shooting landscapes with a 500mm at F11 is bound to create an OOF area in the image. Would of preferred the entire image to be sharp...

Roman Kurywczak
06-15-2011, 09:30 AM
Hey Andrew,
I too generally prefer landscapes sharper front to back.....but this one does work for me as presented as I like the pano and I like the way the grasses go from wispy to sharp and you have pretty good seperation in the animals to boot! A bit different and that has some appeal for me!

Steve Kaluski
06-15-2011, 09:53 AM
A very arresting image Andrew, works for me. Would it have the same calmness if there was a hint more contrast in it?

TFS
Steve

Andrew McLachlan
06-15-2011, 06:38 PM
Andrew, this image works for me too. I like the line of trees and the separation of animals is good. Pano crop works nicely too!

Brendan Dozier
06-15-2011, 08:13 PM
Very nice composition, Andrew! Wonderful light, like the softness and bit of haze.

Andrew Aveley
06-16-2011, 10:08 AM
Thanks all for the great feedback and viewing.

Rachel , there is a road off to the far right so it might be some dust still hanging. It is still very green and loads of water in etosha so the air is not bone dry as you would expect. Moisture content was fairly high :) I have other landscapes with similar light but were not as appealing as this one for me. I wanted the natural light to show through with long grasses and haze. I have done minor adjustments to saturation and cropped top off slightly. Steve , I like the soft feel but will play with more contrast !! I am really enjoying the PANO landscape format at the moment and especially the 617 !

Jay Gould
06-16-2011, 08:33 PM
Works for me; simplicity and serenity!