PDA

View Full Version : Pelican splashing

Hazel Grant
06-14-2011, 03:39 PM
Taken in Florida on Captain Shadle's boat. I know some will not like the strong horizontal line, but I'm hoping the forward motion of the bird can counter that.
Any other comments appreciated.

Nikon D40x, 1/1250, F8, iso400, 300 mm. an afternoon shot.

Gerald Kelberg
06-15-2011, 03:56 PM
Hi Hazel,

Don't get these Brown Pelicans over this part of the world, but they look pretty and impressive.

I think you've got a number of problems with this shot, I'm afraid. Overall, the subject and it's activity are a bit too small in the frame to hold a lot of interest, yet the image quality isn't going to let you crop much harder. It is a bit soft already.

I know it is easy to be wise after the event, but I think that next time you would be better to get lower - if possible - and get the bird further back in the frame so it has more clear space to move into rather than behind it.

Hazel Grant
06-15-2011, 08:35 PM
I know it is easy to be wise after the event, but I think that next time you would be better to get lower - if possible - and get the bird further back in the frame so it has more clear space to move into rather than behind it.[/QUOTE]

I do have a tendency to crop too closely. This is the original shot, or part of it. The whole one won't come up. The bird is actually in the center of the original.

Kerry Perkins
06-15-2011, 10:17 PM
Hi Hazel, this one is definitely a candidate for a better crop. If you put the same space in front of the bird as you did behind it in the original the composition would be miles better. I like the head angle and the frozen water drops in this one. I do find the image too contrasty and the water seems overly saturated. The harsh light didn't help you out, but it's a pretty good starting point and I would like to see you rework it a bit.

Jeff Cashdollar
06-17-2011, 08:34 AM
Crop is too much IMO. In this case, suggest trying to include as much positive habitat as possible. If it is not available then do what you can. As a general rule and this is really open to debate, I try and fill at least 20/25% of frame with subject - or - include more pleasing background. The older I get the more I try to control the background and move around as much as I can. I know there are limits to what we have as well - thanks for sharing.