PDA

View Full Version : West Karoo's flower-Southafrica

Valerio Tarone
03-27-2008, 03:29 PM
Discussion: dark blakgound or not in Macro and close up?

Kaushik Balakumar
03-27-2008, 05:45 PM
personally i am fine with dark backgrounds.
but with regards to this image, it requires some more brightness. the dark background is eating up the subject from all sides too. if the subject were to stand out well exposed, it would have perhaps been fine - which is lacking in this particular image.
perhaps a little more emphasis on the subject's exposure is required.
may be, you can also try getting little closer to the flowers, trying different perspectives to highlight the subject.
this is purely MY personal opinion.
its an interesting discussion; would like to know what others feel too...

Robert O'Toole
03-27-2008, 07:34 PM
I agree with Kaushik, closer and better exposure on the subject would be much better.. Now the subject is lost.

Robert

Robert Amoruso
03-27-2008, 07:52 PM
I have to agree, too much negative space.

Alfred Forns
03-27-2008, 10:19 PM
I would vote for a tight vertical (pano) and brighten the flower to make it stand up !!! I like it !!!

Valerio Tarone
03-28-2008, 11:59 AM
Robert, I appreciated your words. Kaushik, the BG was a matter of discussion in another forum to whom I'enrolled, italian. I try to summarize the answers :it depends on some factors:1 your own taste, of course 2the subject and the colour of the subject, some colours mate well, not all. 3the situation and environment
Thanks to all.

Mike Moats
03-30-2008, 09:00 AM
Hey Valerio, I think most would agree with the comment before me, but if your idea was this present a small subject in a large negative space then you did fine. As far as a black BG, I don't think there's a right or wrong, its more of a personal opinion. I've seen paintings of tiny subjects in vast negative space that some think are great works of art, its not my taste, but some like it. I think in your image, the flower could be a little brighter, but as is, it also has a look of melting into the darkness which is kind of interesting as art.