PDA

View Full Version : Tern Sushi

Chad Caswell
06-14-2011, 02:34 PM
I created this image at Sandy Hook Beach a few weeks ago, even though its a clear blue sky bkg I found the pose striking.

TFL and C&C
CC
Mark IV, 500 f4 lens hand held

Exposure Time: 1/1600 sec
F-Number: f/7.1
Exposure Program: Manual
ISO Speed Rating: 400
Subject Distance: 20.70 m
Flash: No Flash
Focal Length: 500.00 mm

noelle zaleski
06-14-2011, 04:18 PM
I do not like sushi :e3

I like your tern though!

These guys are so hard to get in flight because of their erratic flying. You did good with this one!!

Sharp, nice exposure and great catch for the tern :S3:

DarrenMcKenna
06-14-2011, 07:02 PM
I never tried sushi but it looks good here :D nice flight shot.

darrenmckenna.com (http://www.darrenmckenna.com/)

Arthur Morris
06-14-2011, 07:59 PM
There are some over-exposed whites as posted most likely due to JPEG creation. I ran a 15% Linear Burn on the highlights and added 20 points of BLACks to the WHITEs in Selective Color to the whole thing. And then moved the bird back in the frame.

You file was KB small...

Arthur Morris
06-14-2011, 08:03 PM
ps: Love the wing position and the fish :).

Quiz: Common or Forster's and why?

Chad Caswell
06-15-2011, 05:33 AM
ps: Love the wing position and the fish :).

Quiz: Common or Forster's and why?

Thanks for the re-post Artie, I did check for over exposure in the original file size and all is good :S3:

Not sure what type of tern this is, please educate me sir :c3:
Chad

Ofer Levy
06-15-2011, 06:31 AM
Nice and sharp. Whites look fine to me. Shooting angle a bit high.

Arthur Morris
06-15-2011, 07:01 AM
Thanks for the re-post Artie, I did check for over exposure in the original file size and all is good :S3: Not sure what type of tern this is, please educate me sir :c3:
Chad

YAW. As I said, creating a JPEG increases contrast thus the hot pixels in the JPEG. The expected species in spring in the east are Forster's and Common. In Common, the outer webs of the tail are black as in your image. In Forster's, the outer webs are white and the upper surface of the primaries are frosty white as opposed to grey here. Lastly, Commons have grey bodies while Forster's are all white below.

Arthur Morris
06-15-2011, 07:11 AM
Nice and sharp. Whites look fine to me. Shooting angle a bit high.

As I said, there are over-exposed pixels in the JPEG. Good point on the shooting angle.

Chad Caswell
06-15-2011, 10:52 AM
YAW. As I said, creating a JPEG increases contrast thus the hot pixels in the JPEG. The expected species in spring in the east are Forster's and Common. In Common, the outer webs of the tail are black as in your image. In Forster's, the outer webs are white and the upper surface of the primaries are frosty white as opposed to grey here. Lastly, Commons have grey bodies while Forster's are all white below.

Thank you everyone for the kind words,,

Thanks Artie for the lesson :S3:

Arthur Morris
06-15-2011, 11:21 AM
Chad. YAW. Turnabout is fair play :).

Dumay de Boulle
06-15-2011, 11:58 AM
Exp in the original looks good to me, but im no expert...Like the pose a lot and the textures look great...Like the comp in Arthurs post!

John Guastella
06-16-2011, 11:06 PM
The original exposure looks better to me too, but I'm viewing images on a non-calibrated monitor. I prefer the framing of the original; there is also a stronger catchlight in the original, which I think gives the bird's eye more life.

Regardless of the exposure issues, great capture! I spent two hours yesterday trying to photograph Forster's Terns at the San Diego Creek (next to the San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary, in Irvine, CA). Their flight paths are extremely erratic and I didn't get a single image as nice as this one.

John