PDA

View Full Version : Sacre Coeur in Black & White

Rachel Hollander
06-14-2011, 09:08 AM
Decided to mix it up a bit and post something from the Paris portion of my recent trip. Taken from the top of the Arc de Triomphe. The mid-afternoon light was harsh so I decided to try a conversion to B&W.

Canon 7D
70-200 f4 @ 200mm
1/500
f11
ISO 200
HH, converted in DPP, cropped for comp, s/h and levels adjustment, sharpened in CS5

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Dave Mills
06-14-2011, 01:00 PM
Hi Rachel, Due to the harsh lighting IMO the image appears a bit flat. I tried to give it a bit more dimension by adding a contrast adj. I also selected the trees and applied S/H to bring out some detail.
Finally I cropped the image to try and add better balance between SC and the rest of the image.
With the sky being blank I reduced the amount shown.

Roman Kurywczak
06-14-2011, 01:25 PM
Hey Rachel,
I like Dave's tweaks to bring out more depth......but the light did make this a bit flat. I do think his tweaks take it up a notch. You may also consider just a pano of your OP......with the crop off the top Dave shows.....and then a bit more off the bottom....to about 1/2 inch below the white building (below the church). You did well with the light you had though!

Rachel Hollander
06-15-2011, 06:39 AM
Thanks Dave and Roman. Dave, I like the repost. Thanks for taking the time to play with the image.

Rachel

Andrew McLachlan
06-15-2011, 06:31 PM
Hi Rachel, a little late, but I like Dave's repost. As Roman said it takes it up a notch. Nice work!

Andrew Aveley
06-16-2011, 10:14 AM
the tweaks in the repost add ! Agree with the pano suggestion!