PDA

View Full Version : Syrphid fly

Keith Kennedy
03-27-2008, 03:11 PM
A couple of yeas ago, I was playing with a Canon Digital Rebel to see what it would do on a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (a difficult lens to use because of the short working distance). I was impressed with the image quality especially since I was not using a tripod. The image of the fly is cropped ca. 10% from the right and an 8% Gaussian blur applied to the background. I did clip the distal end of the right hindwing, a result of the very small viewfinder of the Rebel i.e. I did not notice it. You can see the fly's haustellum extended as it feeds on pollen.

Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 macro lens and EOS Digital Rebel; ISO 400; Manual exposure; 1/60s at f13; Canon T24 twin flash at -1; handheld.

Robert O'Toole
03-27-2008, 07:32 PM
Hi Keith,

Great image, looks really good, I dont mind the clip in fact I would crop it more off the left so it looks intentional.

I think the image the benefit from a little USM selectively of course.

Thanks for posting,

Robert

Robert Amoruso
03-27-2008, 07:52 PM
Very cool Keith. I think Robert hit on the right suggestions.

Gus Cobos
03-27-2008, 08:56 PM
Fantastic image love the rich colors, and the background. The detail on it's wing is super..
Congrats...:D

Arthur Morris
03-29-2008, 04:14 PM
Killer as usual. "Cut don't clip" as Robbert suggests.

later and love to all the Kennedy', artie

Mike Moats
03-30-2008, 09:04 AM
Hey Keith very cool image and very good points on the "cut don't clip". Love the color combinations. Well done, and congrats on the IOTW.