PDA

View Full Version : Whitethroat (juvenile)

Jonathan Ashton
06-13-2011, 04:53 PM
Canon 7D Canon 500mm f4 L IS 1.4 TC 1, handheld Auto ISO 200 1/2000 sec f5.6.
I was out walking with Barney (my dog) and I knew there was a chance of getting some whitethroats so I set the camera to single point focus and auto ISO and TV 1/2000 sec. I was lazy this time, the previous three times I carried the tripod but didn't get a chance of a shot and sure enough the instant I didn't take the tripod I got the opportunity.
I think this chick had recently fledged, the adults were flying to and fro with caterpillars (next shot).

Marina Scarr
06-13-2011, 07:57 PM
You have great details in your bird, and I love the pose. The colors all work together in nice light. I wish the flower weren't so tight in the upper left but I see some behind it which is probably why the crop. I think I would remove those white spots. It's a unique crop but I like the environmental feel.

noelle zaleski
06-13-2011, 08:02 PM
I like this one Jonathan, that is a terrific pose! :S3:

gail bisson
06-13-2011, 08:03 PM
Very nice light. A nice pose. I like the inclusion of the environment and the composition is different but it works. I might clone out the little white blobs above the flower. Nice picture,
Gail

dankearl
06-13-2011, 09:29 PM
I would crop the flower out and leave everything else.
A lovely photo.

Richard Unsworth
06-14-2011, 02:09 AM
:S3:

Very nice Johnathan; a little different and that works for me.
Look forward to the next shot:S3:

Chris Baker
06-14-2011, 02:49 AM
Lovely shot Jonathan. The first thing that hit me was the "different" look and I like the inclusion of habitat. It's a matter of personal taste but I'm not so sure I would include the flower either, but still nice as presented TFS

Jonathan Ashton
06-14-2011, 02:58 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone, I must admit as soon as I posted the image I realised I had left the OOF bloom in at the top and I did intend to clone/patch it.

Dumay de Boulle
06-14-2011, 07:58 AM
Great IQ and light. I like the incl of the environment and the way it balances the comp. Nice to look at!

Daniel Cadieux
06-14-2011, 01:48 PM
I don't mind the habitat feel, but it's the placement of the subject that is a bit off IMO...I too am left wanting to crop the flower out from the top and the then half the space at left to place the little guy closer to the left edge. Pointing your lens lower to get him higher in the frame would have been a good option in the field. He's a cute one, and I like the rest of the grasses.