PDA

View Full Version : Clay-colored Sparrow in habitat, part II

Daniel Cadieux
06-12-2011, 09:00 PM
I photographed this guy smaller in the frame than I usually prefer, but to me the setting was very pretty and was beautifully indicative of the habitat this species lives in.Hope you like!

P.S. Audio was then used to lure it closer...so stay tuned for a more "traditional" image on my part!:t3

Canon 7D + 100-400L @400mm, aperture priority, evaluative metering, 1/500s., f/6.3, ISO 800, no EC, natural light, handheld, FF. A thin dark row creeping in and out of the frame cloned out along the top edge, and the brighter seedheads/grasses toned down to minimize their impact.

Bob Pelkey
06-12-2011, 09:38 PM
Like it. There was a thread not too long ago that discussed crops in detail which must be revisited.

Sid Garige
06-12-2011, 09:45 PM
Brilliant comp Dan. Excellent image.

Stu Bowie
06-13-2011, 12:21 AM
I like everything about this, ( with your previous post in mind ). The comp is well balanced with sparrow and in focus grass on the left. I like the space the sparrow is looking into, and the surrounding OOF enviroment adds interest. Well captured.

noelle zaleski
06-13-2011, 04:52 AM
Daniel, as I have said before I am a big fan of leaving the environment in the image. I like your sparrow very much and his little head turn makes me think he was curious about you as well.

To me the hanging seed pod competes with this little one because it's colors and size match the bird.

Nice comp and very nice feel to this image. :S3:

Neil Nourse
06-13-2011, 05:18 AM
I like this one a lot Dan.
Love the copm and agre the few IF grasses add a lot to this image. The milkweed seed pod doesn't bother me but I am a little undecided on the OOF seed head in the background. Maybe darken it slightly? It seems to draw my attention away from the subject.
Overall a very nice image :S3:

TFS Neil

Dave Leroy
06-13-2011, 08:08 AM
I like it. I have a real soft spot for habitat shots so a no brainer for me. Photo is nicely balanced and subject stands out from habitat.

Dave

Marina Scarr
06-13-2011, 10:11 AM
Love the environmental and soft feel to this one. Composition works well and love the color combinations.

Shaun Boycott-Taylor
06-13-2011, 10:27 AM
Terrific shot Daniel.

I love bird in habitat shots and this is superb. I like the comp, BG and tones in the image. The seed heads don't bother me, but rather they add to the context of where the Bird actually is in it's habitat.

I like the way the grass stem to the left of the Bird (as we look at it) mirrors the shape of the stem it is perched on. Leaving it lots of space to look into was a mater stroke!

Thanks for sharing.

Shaun:5

Karl Egressy
06-13-2011, 01:52 PM
Nice habitat shot, Daniel.
Personally I like tighter cuts especially for small birds.

Kaustubh Deshpande
06-13-2011, 03:16 PM
Daniel, very well composed. Lot os elements aiding the balance. Subject placement excellent as always. Very well done.

Gary Esman
06-13-2011, 07:08 PM
Very cool shot! Love the milk weed and the overall image! TFS.

Gary.

dankearl
06-13-2011, 09:32 PM
Very nice Daniel,
I love these photos, I find myself trying too hard here for the "close-up" and lose the big picture.
They are birds in a natural environment, not many things as beautiful.
Thanks for reminding me.

Chris Baker
06-14-2011, 04:17 AM
Very Nice Daniel, I to like the habitat included and the comp is lovely.

Brendan Dozier
06-14-2011, 01:19 PM
Count me in on the inclusion of the beautiful habitat in this one, Daniel. Beautiful bird, soft light, nice pose, perch, and well framed. Your images always seem to represent nature in a very pure manner. Well done!