PDA

View Full Version : Stonehenge #2

Rachel Hollander
06-12-2011, 07:30 PM
Another one taken on the inner circle access tour in the early evening.

Canon 7D
16-35 @ 16mm
1/50
f13
ISO 400
HH, very slight crop from the left, levels and curves adjustments, sharpened in CS5

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

dankearl
06-12-2011, 08:37 PM
Rachel, I like this one a lot.
Very sharp, just looks desolate and foreboding.
What were they thinking?
I like the pastel sky and the stark surroundings.
Thanks for posting these, it is cool to see the real thing, It looks like it is in the middle of nowhere.

Dave Mills
06-13-2011, 09:17 AM
Hi Rachel, I also liked the way you framed the comp. The smaller flat rock adds interest to the open area on the right with the clouds filling the rest. I might play with S/H on the clouds to give them a bit more detail and pop even though they are well exposed.
I don't know if you could have avoided the merge inside the rock opening by repositioning slightly. Only you could answer that. Well composed!!

Roman Kurywczak
06-13-2011, 12:07 PM
Hey Rachel,
I think the comp works well here. I may go a bit tighter off the left......but I think it also works as presented. I agree with trying to eek out even more detail in the sky.....but all in all.....nicely done!

Rachel Hollander
06-13-2011, 12:50 PM
Thanks Dan, Dave and Roman. Dave - it's virtually impossible to avoid the merges if shooting into the circle, or even along the edge. If shooting out of the circle I suppose you might have more success but then would lose some of the depth of the images. It's a trade-off, I guess.

Dan - Nobody really knows what they were thinking and some of the stones were brought from hundreds of miles away. It's surrounded mostly by large sheep meadows/fields but on one side there's a highway right next to it. Some would say what were they thinking. I have been to London a few times and only now realized that Stonehenge is only about 90 minutes drive from London.

Dave and Roman - I'll take another pass at the sky and clouds and see if I can bring out more detail.

Thanks,
Rachel

Andrew Aveley
06-13-2011, 03:31 PM
Agree with the above but really like the composition ! Maybe shave little of the bottom for more pano effect :) !!

Andrew McLachlan
06-13-2011, 04:47 PM
Rachel, nicely composed, agree with the above suggestions.

Rachel Hollander
06-13-2011, 05:25 PM
Thanks Andrew and Andrew for the comments, much appreciated.

Rachel

Rachel Hollander
06-13-2011, 08:12 PM
Here's a repost with a slight s/h adjustment to the clouds as suggested above.

Thanks,
Rachel

Hilary Hann
06-13-2011, 11:14 PM
Very nice image Rachel, I wondered where you had been! :w3

Rachel Hollander
06-15-2011, 06:32 AM
Thanks Hilary.