PDA

View Full Version : What do you see.........

Harold Davis
03-27-2008, 01:32 PM
when composing a photo? do you compose the scene in your mind or in the viewfinder? i seem to look at a scene and compose it in the viewfinder. after photographing it, i will chimp it in the LCD and be satisfied. then when i look at it on the computer screen it looks totally different. sometimes not good at all. then sometimes i look at it in the LCD and hate it, yet it looks great on the computer.

what do you see?

Chris Ober
03-27-2008, 03:24 PM
I try to think if something will work and have an idea of what I want before looking through the lens. Then I'll try to make it work.

Jane Ward
03-27-2008, 07:01 PM
I see something and get an idea of an image and then I look through the view finder and try to find it. If it is a bird that I am excited about, I will probably center it on my first shot and then I try to calm down and frame it better. I use Photoshop later to crop the view I had in mind, especially if the subject is small and far away.

Harold Davis
03-28-2008, 11:01 AM
hi jane and chris! i appreciate your responses.

Rob Miner
03-28-2008, 11:22 AM
Hey Harold,

If a scene interests you, shoot it several ways. When viewing it on the computer, enlargeing, reduceing the size and use the crop tool to look at it in multiple ways. Then leave the computer and review the compositions another day. Remember you liked the scene in the first place, so find out what pleased you about the scene, it is worth the investment of time.

Rob................

Doug West
03-28-2008, 12:49 PM
More times than not...both.

As I'm approaching the area I might be shooting, I'm visualizing what I
might want.

But all of that can change once I look thru the viewfinder and different
suggestions are popping in my head.

Doug

Robert O'Toole
03-28-2008, 01:20 PM
Depends how important the image is to you, If the image is really that good, you should work the image as much as possible, bracket, bracket focus, try various comps. Shoot until the quality light is gone.

Also the newer 3 inch HQ Nikon LCD screens are really a big help, esp the histograms, you will not have as many surprises when you get back from shooting compared to the old style 2.5 inch low res LCDs.

Robert

Jim Poor
03-28-2008, 05:55 PM
I'll compose in my mind and then in the viewfinder. I almost never look at the LCD for anything other than blinkies.

Maxis Gamez
03-28-2008, 08:04 PM
I see a square EVERYWHERE I LOOK! Constantly composing!

Ed Cordes
03-28-2008, 09:55 PM
I seem to enjoy my surroundings and compose a scene in my mind that reflects my feelings. Then I try to make the view in my viewfinder reflect the scene in my mind. After it finally gets on my computer i try to recreate the original feeling. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.