PDA

View Full Version : Spotted Towhee Look

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
06-12-2011, 12:10 AM

D3 300f/2.8 + TC20EIII (600mm) 1/2000 @ f/8 -0.33EV substantial crop (40% remaining)
Lab mode curves, nr, detailing, sharpening

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

-Michael-

John Chardine
06-12-2011, 10:53 AM
Well done Michael. Love the head-on look! Nice BG and beautiful light. Great "easy" sharpness. I would only take a little off the left to slightly move the bird over and crop out the the bits of veg that are cut anyway.

wendell westfall
06-12-2011, 12:48 PM
Michael, Congrats on a perfect head-on pose . . . and though I am not a fan of this pose, I very much appreciate your skill at getting both eyes of the Towhee looking dead ahead. Nice placement of the bird in the "frame" too.

Jeff Cashdollar
06-12-2011, 01:46 PM
John and wendell offer excellent advise. Nice centering the bird between the two white highlights. Are you using AV mode. Composition is tricky here. I love including habitat (and not too tight) but it could overpower subject - more tradeoffs - nice job.

Kerry Perkins
06-12-2011, 03:17 PM
Michael, nice capture and lovely light. For my tastes I would crop from the top and left, constraining the aspect ratio and bringing in the upper right corner. I think this would add to the intimacy of the composition.

Cheryl Slechta
06-12-2011, 04:37 PM
Michael, I love the pose and the "portrait" look. I agree with the cropping suggestions.

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
06-12-2011, 07:16 PM
John, Wendell, Jeff, Kerry, Cheryl,

Thank you all for your comments. They are much appreciated. Pretty substantial crop already but I'll play with it some.

Jeff, Av mode, er, that's Canon-speak for aperture priority? A mode in Nikon... Yes that's what I shot :S3: Midtones ended up a little dark with the filtered light through the trees, worked it in pp.

Cheers,

-Michael-