PDA

View Full Version : oystercatcher

Sid Garige
06-11-2011, 01:17 PM
Estero Lagoon, Fl
Canon 7D | 500mm F4 + 1.4x | 1/1250 | F8

noelle zaleski
06-11-2011, 02:37 PM
Great portrait Sid, Nice exposure and detail.

I like that you have captured the nose hole. :S3:

Tom Redd
06-11-2011, 03:00 PM
Great portrait and excellent feather detail. The BG is pleasing.

Lorant Voros
06-11-2011, 03:01 PM
Lovely detail, great exposure and vivid colors. I could never get this close to these guys. Well done.

Lorant

arash_hazeghi
06-11-2011, 03:05 PM
excellent close up view of the feather details! great work Sid

Sidharth Kodikal
06-11-2011, 03:07 PM
Phenomenal detail and exposure. Perfect comp for this portrait. Superb work Sid!

Chad Caswell
06-11-2011, 03:08 PM
Little Estero, I love that place, Noelle and I will be there in July :S3: Great image Sid, love the nose hole

PS check FM I just bumped your Tern thread.. I missed that one LMAO

Chad

Vivaldo Damilano
06-11-2011, 03:20 PM
Excellent Sid, tight comp works so nicely, love the detail and also like the nose hole. Great colour as well TFS:cheers:

Michael Wolf
06-11-2011, 03:25 PM
Outstanding detail! I love that the portrait shows all the colors of this beauty as well.

Joe Senzatimore
06-11-2011, 03:55 PM
Detail is magnificent. Love the comp. Beautiful exposure also.

Morkel Erasmus
06-11-2011, 05:08 PM
immaculate detail here Sid! lovely...

can imagine this being a tricky exposure too
our Oystercatchers are all black with red beaks

Norm Dulak
06-11-2011, 06:14 PM
Talk about up close and personal! This image really brings this interesting bird to us. Wonderful color, composition and sharpness, and great feather definition throughout the tonal range.

Well done!

Troy Lim
06-11-2011, 07:16 PM
Where was this taken? I couldn't believe how close you got to the bird! :t3

Marina Scarr
06-11-2011, 07:21 PM
Truly great portrait of this male AMOY, Sid. You have wonderful details here.

Arthur Morris
06-11-2011, 07:25 PM
Love the feather detail esp in the BLACKs. Great sharpness with a good EXP. Head is angled slightly away and I wish that the bird had just bathed and washed the salt off its beautiful bill.

stuart wanuck
06-11-2011, 09:29 PM
as always sid nice capture!

Craig Brelsford
06-12-2011, 04:33 AM
. . . I wish that the bird had just bathed and washed the salt off its beautiful bill.

I don't mind the salty bill, nor do I mind the grains of sand in the plumage. This shot is technically solid in every single area, so why not leave in a bit of nature's imperfection? I only wish I had more of the story behind your image. How'd you manage it? Were you on your belly, waiting? Were you in a hide? Do you have some kind of a thing with birds that makes them love you and snuggle up close to the camera?

Adams Serra
06-12-2011, 09:44 AM
Beautiful image Sid.
Nice composition and feather detail.

Arthur Morris
06-12-2011, 09:58 AM
I don't mind the salty bill, nor do I mind the grains of sand in the plumage. This shot is technically solid in every single area, so why not leave in a bit of nature's imperfection? I only wish I had more of the story behind your image. How'd you manage it? Were you on your belly, waiting? Were you in a hide? Do you have some kind of a thing with birds that makes them love you and snuggle up close to the camera?

Craig, I am not a big fan of nature's imperfections. Had the bird taken a bath, it would have had a clean bill and no sand in the plumage. For me, that would have simply resulted in a more beautiful image..... Way back when my first and only photography instructor once said to me about a disheveled bird, "Go find a better subject." That was more than 27 years ago and has worked for me. You are free to like what you like as am I :).

Arthur Morris
06-12-2011, 10:04 AM
BPN member Chris Baker sent me an interesting e-mail with regards to this image. I brought the JPEG into PS and found that the bill and eye were completely blown due to over-saturation. For the repost here I added 100 points of CYAN to the REDs and then de-saturated the REDs by 20 points. Much better to handle such problems either in conversion of in PS with the master file.....

BTW, no more blinkies in the repost.

Arthur Morris
06-12-2011, 10:06 AM
I should have mentioned that you can play around with the REDs and YELLOWs on the HSL tab while converting images like this.

Kaustubh Deshpande
06-13-2011, 10:11 AM
Sid, love your portraits. the colors and the bird and the blue BG create a terrific combination. Well done on getting close and parallel....good call on f-stop.

w.r.t to colors sat, I'd probably prefer something between the two posts....however, I've never seen this bird...so hard for me to say what's realistic.

Arthur Morris
06-13-2011, 10:58 AM
KD, If you work on the colors from the get-go and are aware of the potential problems it is possible to get them a bit brighter. Not so when working sort of after the fact with a JPEG.

Kaustubh Deshpande
06-13-2011, 11:01 AM
KD, If you work on the colors from the get-go and are aware of the potential problems it is possible to get them a bit brighter. Not so when working sort of after the fact with a JPEG.

got it. thx.