PDA

View Full Version : A male Chitabe lion

Grant Atkinson
06-11-2011, 11:08 AM
Canon 40D, Canon 300mm f2.8 lens, handheld. S/S 1/1600 at f/4, iso 125
Cropped from 10 to 8.5mp. Processed in ACR6 and CS5. Removed some grass stalks from bottom lhs of image. Metering Evaluative, Ai Servo.
Taken a couple of years ago, at Chitabe camp in the Okavango Delta, Botswana.
All C and C welcome
Grant

Steve Kaluski
06-11-2011, 11:49 AM
A very regal pose Grant, and for me, perhaps the 'classic' we all would like to get.

A little tight at the foot & to the RHS, but as this was taken a while back then I know this would have been corrected if shot now. :S3: Certainly good light based on the techs, although I wonder if the blacks are a tad too strong, as it looks a little contrasty, but am viewing on the laptop at present.

I do have one concern, but will wait to see if this is picked up by anyone else. :w3

TFS
Steve

peter delaney
06-11-2011, 12:52 PM
Hi Grant

Agree with Steve with about the tightness of the portrait..blacks could be opened up a bit. Would also clone white mark on lip as it is a little distracting..

Grant Atkinson
06-11-2011, 01:47 PM
Thanks Steve and Peter, here is a repost, opened up blacks a bit, had a bit more room to the rhs but nothing underneath. The white mark on the lip is a reflection, so I left it for now..
Thanks for the comments and suggestions
cheers
Grant

Rachel Hollander
06-11-2011, 03:20 PM
Grant - agree with Steve and Peter, this is the classic pose of a full grown male with gorgeous mane we all hope for. Repost improves it and I'm sure if you shot it now, you would include a little more room below.

TFS,
Rachel

Harshad Barve
06-11-2011, 06:57 PM
re-post works for me in great way , excellent
TFS

Dumay de Boulle
06-12-2011, 04:40 AM
Great portrait in amazing light...Love the true african feel you get from this image

Vivaldo Damilano
06-12-2011, 11:48 AM
Excellent Grant, love the pose and his look. I also prefer re-post but may still reduce black slightly TFS:cheers:

Steve Canuel
06-12-2011, 12:51 PM
Great light here Grant. Prefer the repost also. Bridge of nose and lining of eyes still seems just a touch too contrasty, rest of the lion looks good.

Morkel Erasmus
06-12-2011, 01:08 PM
Hey Grant. Lovely specimen in sweet light! I agree on the tightness at the bottom. Your repost has taken care of the blacks and apparent contrast. I find the snout has a lot of very bright whites (though not blown), and played with a multiplied highlights layer (like I always seem to do :e3).

See what you think of the repost...used 60% opacity on the highlights layer with multiplied blending. I feel it's brought out some more detail?

Pieter de Waal
06-13-2011, 12:28 PM
Hi Grant, I like your repost, such a regal portrait with excellent detail in the face and great eye contact. Love that beautiful black mane.