PDA

View Full Version : Stonehenge

Rachel Hollander
06-11-2011, 08:22 AM
On my recent trip to Europe I was able to do an after hours tour to Stonehenge which allowed access inside the roped off area and even amongst the stones. Took lots of photos but thought I'd start off with one of the whole circle.

Canon 7D
16-35 @ 16mm
1/50
f16
ISO 400
CP
HH, straightened and curves adjustment in CS5.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

dankearl
06-11-2011, 11:36 AM
Wow, the real deal. I would maybe take a bit off the top or the bottom, probably the bottom so the photo is not quite so 50/50.
I envy you for getting a private tour.

Rachel Hollander
06-11-2011, 03:59 PM
Thanks Dan. Not a private tour. There were about 50 people on it and they divided us into 2 groups for going inside the circle. Had to time some of the shots to when people were behind the stones, although I think this one was near the end of the tour when everyone was already out of the circle.

Rachel

Roman Kurywczak
06-11-2011, 03:59 PM
Hey Rachel,
Not sure this is quite as sharp as I would expect for f16. In this case getting lower may have been a good option to allow you to get more seperation of the stones and the BG......giving the image more depth. Super cool that you got private access! Looking forward to seeing more of the images from this place!

Dave Mills
06-11-2011, 06:18 PM
Hi Rachel, good points brought out above. Not an easy place to control merges since your bound to get some. This is the kind of place where one has the option of also dissecting the whole and making smaller comps. Would have liked to have seen this image taken a bit earlier with some warmer lighting...

Andrew Aveley
06-12-2011, 12:21 PM
A truly amazing place ! Agree with Roman on sharpness ? Also agree on the warmer light ! Still a place I will visit !! I look forward to more of your images ! :eek:

Rachel Hollander
06-12-2011, 07:12 PM
Thanks Roman, Dave and Andrew for the comments, much appreciated. Unfortunately, not much I can do about getting warmer light as you are limited to the hour just after closing. I wish we could have stayed later and been there closer to sunset. Fortunately, the cloud cover cleared a bit while we were there. You're right about the sharpness in the post but the original is sharper not sure what happened. Quite a few more to post. I hope people won't get bored with Stonehenge.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Andrew McLachlan
06-13-2011, 04:41 PM
Hi Rachel, cool that you got to get up close! I think a crop off the grass would help. I like Roman's suggestion for a lower perspective. Look forward to seeing more of your images from here!

Rachel Hollander
06-15-2011, 06:33 AM
Thanks Andrew

Mitchell Krog
06-17-2011, 05:40 PM
Very nice, got lots of room for some sharpening there, do some selective sharpening on the stones only it'll make them pop. Hope to get here on my next trip to the UK.