PDA

View Full Version : Chicago nightscape

Steve Bein
06-10-2011, 10:55 PM
From a few years ago. I ws walking around and looked up, liked what I saw and took the photo.
116mm
6 sec, f/16
Mode: Av
Metering: Center-weighted average
Exp comp: -2/3
ISO: 200DS

Steve Bein
06-10-2011, 11:00 PM
oops. here is the photo> I tried to add it to the original post, then cancel and start over, but none worked. I hope this takes.

Roman Kurywczak
06-11-2011, 03:55 PM
Hey Steve,
I like the comp but I do wish you had put the lamp post a bit more centered between the 2 buildings and included the LRC poster. On a 6 second exposure.....you could have covered the lens a bit where the lights are to get them more in check......or taken a second exposure just for them and blend the 2. This also appears a bit magenta.....which can happen at night lit street scenes......so try pulling back some sturation there to see if that brings out more detail in the buildings and gives them a more natural appearance.

Dave Mills
06-11-2011, 06:07 PM
Hi Steve, I like the basic comp but good points were brought out by Roman. It Takes some practice but you can reduce the harsh light of the lamps by coveribg that section with your finger for part of the exposure. Seeing the subject is stationary you would have many opportunities.
Actually Roman taught me that trick when we were shooting Nubble Light at night in Maine together. We did a 30sec exposure of the lighthouse but it's light was blowing out that section of the image. Through trial and error we covered a section of the lense for about 20 sec. It finally did the trick. As Roman mentioned another alternative would have been blending exposures...

Andrew McLachlan
06-13-2011, 04:36 PM
Steve, nice perspective. Agree with Roman and Dave's suggestions.