PDA

View Full Version : Orlando (July 24-29)...

Daniel Bailey
06-10-2011, 02:09 PM
Coming to sunny Orlando, Florida for a school during the week of July 24th. Looking for some hot spots in the area. Some birds I'd like to see (and have the opportunity for good shots) are Sandhill Cranes, Snail Kites and Painted Buntings. I know those birds frequent totally different habitats but they are not in Virginia. I'd like to make the best of the trip.

Thanks

David Gancarz
06-28-2011, 12:18 PM
Daniel: To the north of Orlando, Sandhill Cranes are very common in the Lake Mary / Sanford area, including Sanford Airport property (e.g., along Carrier Ave). South is Hunter's Creek area. You pretty much just need to find a pasture or open grassy area along with some luck. I have walked up to them during a conference at Champion's Gate golf course. Snail Kites are around Lake Toho south of Kissimmee. Take a look at Jim Neiger/Flight School Photography here in Orlando, for example. I don't know a reliable place for your buntings. At one time they were coming to feeders at Oakland Nature Preserve on the south shore of Lake Apopka. Have a great visit!

David Gancarz
06-29-2011, 11:38 AM
A short update on Painted Buntings. They are a mostly a spring and fall migrant in central Florida. Summertime you are not likely to see any except maybe at Merritt Island NWR.

Daniel Bailey
06-29-2011, 08:58 PM
David, thanks for your responses!

Mike Tracy
06-30-2011, 06:39 PM
Snail Kites can sometimes be found around Brinson Park which is located at the N.N.E. corner of Lake Toho. If you PM me I can give you some other ideas.