PDA

View Full Version : Sea Stacks at sunset

Steve Maxson
03-27-2008, 12:08 PM
Sea stacks at Rialto Beach, Olympic National Park last September. This was a race against the sun as it was about to drop into a distant fog bank on the western horizon. The light fizzled a few moments after this photo was taken. 20D, 28-135mm (at 28mm), 1/4, f/16, ISO 400. This is full frame. Comments are welcome.

Alfred Forns
03-27-2008, 05:00 PM
Hi Steve The first thing that came to mind when I looked at the image was I wanted to see more of the right side Not sure if you could point the camera in that direction and show less of the left?

Not sure what else is around but I also get a strong sensation going for a horizontal? Would still get the beautiful reflection I guess you see I like the right side !!!

Having the horizon close to the middle doesn't work in most but looks good here I like the captured tones and having some detail in the rocks shadow A very lovely image Sure hope you got lots more !!!!

Robert Amoruso
03-27-2008, 07:29 PM
Steve,

First thing I thought (and Alfred mentioned it) was the right side of the image. I see some fog, you mentioned a fog bank there and I can see a bit of it.

I would open up the shadows in the left side just a bit more to get some added detail. Without a strong visual element in the FG like a rock or something, the stack is unbalanced against the FG.